Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you had a LEEP for cervical dysplasia?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:48 PM
  • 15 Replies

I was told this last week that I have Grade3 cervical dysplasia which is sometimes called "cancer in waiting."  After an abnormal pap and a scope, the biopsies discovered this and I am now having a LEEP (electrode procedure to burn away cells) done on Friday.  I am not really nervous about the procedure, but am more nervous that these abnormal cells will return.  My paps before this have come back normal and my understanding is that my two close pregnancies may have hidden the abnormal cells for some years so they have been sitting there "smoldering" for awhile, long enough to advance to Grade 3 which means they have covered the entire cervix and the next step is cancer when they start to invade the tissue. 

Has anybody had this procedure done or been diagnosed with this?  What has been your outcome so far and any advice for me?  I am only 29 and have a 1 yr old girl and 3 yr old boy(with Autism).  No family history.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:56 PM

wave

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  this CafeMom Group:
Medical questions

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

ajh629
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:28 PM

i had a leep in 2001...the procedure was quick and relatively painless...and i have never had an abnormal pap since...good luck to you...i am not sure what "stage" my problems were at when they did the leep...i don't recall anyone talking in those terms at the time...but i had had several years of abnormal paps prior to the leep...good luck!

3boyz1princess
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:31 PM

My SIL had it done a few years ago and it went very well.  Now this is a girl who could not even visit me in hospital after I had a baby she freaks out on hospitals and needles so you can imagine how scared she was but everything went well and she said it was not bad at all just a little cramping after.  She has had normal paps ever since...good luck

in loveboy n girltwin boys

HUBBY & ME       CHANDLER,MADSION,CARSON & COLTON

UpNorthMom218
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I had a Leep about 2 years ago.  Quick, painless, and have had normal paps ever since.  It freaked me out at the time but my doctor said that I had nothing to worry about.  He said that if I had waited 5-10 years and not gotten the leep or any paps, then cancer could have transpired, but he said it is the slowest growing and when caught in the "pre-cancer" phase it rarely ever develps. 

Good luck.

Lara
Mom of Seth

Happily working from home --join me!
www.workathomeunited.com/larap

LavenderMom23
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I've had a LEEP for a different reason. They are very effective.

HauntedStarr
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I had it about 7-8 years ago and I have had normal paps eversince. Good luck

swizzlefiz
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I had a LEEP in 2005 for stage 3 dysplasia.  They gave me pain meds, but I didn't need them.  Afterwards it was pretty much just like period cramping.  The thing I want to warn you about is the SMELL!  It made me puke when I got home.  Also, I think I had to go 6 weeks before I could have sex after.  I haven't had to have one since.  I do have to get biopsies every 6 months to ensure that it doesn't come back.  If this one comes back clean(I'm due for one) then I'll get to go back only once a year.  GL

marusia1052
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I had one almost five years ago, and haven't had any dysplasia since. The pain is like light period cramps and I was given Ultram for it. At the time I was really upset that I had dysplasia, but now that I think about it, I'm super happy I went in time to have it be dysplasia and not cancer. It's great that they caught it in time, and after knowing that I had dysplasia, I know the importance of scheduled pap smears. Good luck, it shouldn't take more than five minutes, and you won't feel anything. :)

Pregnancy ticker
echoishername
by Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I had one in 2008, for the same reason. I felt light headed, otherwise, it was quick and painless.

marusia1052
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I forgot to add that mine hurt LESS than the biopsy. Also, if you'd like, you can take 800mg of Advil before you go to help with the cramping.

Pregnancy ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)