Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on going on a cruise with a young child.

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:52 PM
  • 6 Replies

My Fiance and I are planning on going on a cruise early next year probably to the bahamas or something.  We really arent sure on whether we should take our 3 year old with us.  He will be just over 3 and a half at the time and he is fully potty trained.  I know alot of the care programs on the boats want them to be potty trained.  Does anyone have any suggestions on cruiseline preferences when traveling with kids?  Do you think he is too young to go on a cruise right now?  Would you feel comfortable leaving your 3 year old with a kids camp program on the cruise ship and if so for what amount of time?  I really feel like it would be an enjoyable experience for him but it also makes me a little nervous because he has never really been on an extended vacation away from home like that.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cmb121906
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I wouldn't want to take my child. We are flying to the Dominican in Feb and we are leaving our two children behind. They will be 2 & 3 then. Cruises scare me b/c you sometimes hear of people going overboard and if I took my kids and left them in a daycare, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my time b/c I would be thinking of that. So no, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my kid in a program like that on a cruise. I don't want to scare you and those were not my intentions :)

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

joelsmommy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Well these are exactly my fears!!!!  I am absolutely terrified of something bad happening.  My mom was in the instigator of all my fears.  I told her I was thinking about it and she started telling me all these horrible things like what if he wondered off the boat while at port and we left without him or like you said he fell overboard or someone trying to kidnap him.  I am still uneasy about it but I also feel like LOTS of people go on cruises with their kids and they come home just fine soooo I dont know....lol

Quoting cmb121906:

I wouldn't want to take my child. We are flying to the Dominican in Feb and we are leaving our two children behind. They will be 2 & 3 then. Cruises scare me b/c you sometimes hear of people going overboard and if I took my kids and left them in a daycare, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my time b/c I would be thinking of that. So no, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my kid in a program like that on a cruise. I don't want to scare you and those were not my intentions :)

cmb121906
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Oh I know, but people always remember and gossip the bad and not the good. I just always think kids can run off in a split second and a cruise is no place for even a minute to lose your baby. 99% of people come back fine from cruises, but I'm sure this is a fear for every parent that takes a toddler on a cruise.

Quoting joelsmommy:

Well these are exactly my fears!!!!  I am absolutely terrified of something bad happening.  My mom was in the instigator of all my fears.  I told her I was thinking about it and she started telling me all these horrible things like what if he wondered off the boat while at port and we left without him or like you said he fell overboard or someone trying to kidnap him.  I am still uneasy about it but I also feel like LOTS of people go on cruises with their kids and they come home just fine soooo I dont know....lol

Quoting cmb121906:

This is what your admission looks like behind closed doors!

A lifetime of abuse and lockdown

Click for more info!

IloveHayden08
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Why dont you post pone a cruise until you child is older...I really want to take another cruise to but it would not be fun with a baby. You should try to figure out a vacation that is child friendly, unless you want to pay 3xs the amount and go on a Disney cruise! I wouldnt want to leave my toddler for 5-8 days just so I could go on a vacation....

joelsmommy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Quoting IloveHayden08:

Why dont you post pone a cruise until you child is older...I really want to take another cruise to but it would not be fun with a baby. You should try to figure out a vacation that is child friendly, unless you want to pay 3xs the amount and go on a Disney cruise! I wouldnt want to leave my toddler for 5-8 days just so I could go on a vacation....

Yeah we went went on vacation to Vegas earlier this year and it was hard being away from my son for 4 days...lol..... We looked at the disney cruises but the cost difference doesnt seem reasonable to us.  We live in Florida so we may just take him to disney for a couple days and then go on a short cruise ourselves.  I just cant decide.

BabyJae
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:20 PM

I personally wouldnt take my kids on a cruise. But my kids are also young. Do you have someone to watch your kid while you go away? Last month we went away to miami for vacation without the kids and left them with grandma. I dunno if I would want to leave my kids on one side of a boat while I go eat or do somthing else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)