Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Next step to helping baby sleep on his own (non-CIO method)

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:53 PM
  • 2 Replies

My son is 9 months old and we have been nursing/walking/bouncing him to sleep. We're ready for the next non-CIO step to help him sleep on his own. We've tried leaving him in the crib to play with toys, but once he's done with the toys, he stands up and cries out for us. We've tried putting him to sleep drowsy, but not asleep and he wakes up crying and we need to go through the whole soothing process again. Any non-CIO ideas?

Get Back to Your Pre-pregnancy Weight!  
Nutrition Counseling by Lisa Davison

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
WildKat
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Lay him down drowsy and stay next to him, and pretend to sleep.  If he cries out you can whisper "shhh" or gently pat him if he starts to be more active again.  The more hands-off you can be, the better.  When he's asleep, tiptoe out. 

Eventually, you can tiptoe out while he's still drowsy and he'll still know what to do and what is expected of him.

Good luck and peace,

Kat

WildKat
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention (I assume you may be already doing this) is to establish a really consistent routine.  For us it was nurse, bath, jammies, board book, then nurse almost to sleep in a rocking chair.  Everything from bath on up was done in dim lighting, sometimes with new age music softly playing.

Peace,

Kat 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)