Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 8 month old won't eat! PIOG

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:53 PM
  • 4 Replies

i have been exclusively breastfeeding my 8 month old from birth... but this past week she won't stay on... she eats for maybe a minute then unlatches and turns her head. i've burped her over and over, but it doesn't help... i have had no changes in diet, everything has been the same... environment changes, nothing. my first did this and i had to put her on the bottle because it was the only way she would eat. BUT my first was used to taking a bottle every now and then. lily (my 8 month old) never would take a bottle. she'll take a certain sippy cup with juice, and i put some breast milk in it once but she wouldn't eat it. i put formula in it last night before bed because she wouldn't breastfeed and she ate the entire thing... then i rocked and burped her, tried to  breastfeed again and nothing... just decided to lay her down and she went to sleep peacefully without a peep. it almost seems like she's ready to wean... what do y'all think??

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
IloveHayden08
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:58 PM

its just a stage, there is no need to wean yet! You should join a breastfeeding group where you will get answers that are pro-breastfeeding!! Good luck. My son did this to, its just because they are curious about the world around them, just stick with it.

NoraDun
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I would say its the age. My son started doing that around 8 months so I would have to take him into a perfectly quiet room and nurse him. He only nurses for a very few minutes anyway but if there is a lot going on in the house he is too busy looking to nurse! as for her being ready to wean....I dunno...I would just continue to try to nurse and if she does them she does...I would think she is probably getting more then you think. Keep an eye on her wet diapers and he weight but as long as she looks healthy I would think she will be ok even if she only nurses for a few minutes!! Good luck

I am a Jesus loving, breastfeeding, TTCing, cosleeping, mother of two boys:Xavier 4 , Malachi 9 mn, and married to my wonderful husband, Quentin for 4.5 years!!

toddler boybreastfeeding  Stay on "The Up & Up" in my group:  http:/www.cafemom.com/group/upandup

"Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalms 139:16

westtexaslady
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM

i am a member of a  breastfeeding group... but no answers. lol also, i'm not worried about her weight or diaper count. both are really good. but even the quiet room does not help...

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:13 PM

wave

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  these CafeMom Groups:
Infant and Baby Groups  

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)