Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Its killing me waiting to hear the heartbeat...

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:57 PM
  • 14 Replies

i just found out i'm pregnant On Sept 1st and I'm 6 weeks today. Its killing me because the doctor told me all of these horror stories of what could happen before you hear the heart beat...so all I think about everyday is please let my baby be ok.. Does anyone have any advice on how they got through it.. I know this might sound dumb to some people but I'm a first time mom and I don't have a mom to help me with these things I lost her when I was 14.... But I am 22 and happily married and I just am looking for some one to talk to to make these last few weeks go by faster....So any advice can help!

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoraDun
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Unless you have a history of problems....RELAX. Typically there are no problems...and if your Doctor is already flipping you out unnecessarily then I would switch doctors before you become farther along in your pregnancy. From my experience those are the kind of Doctors that push dangerous and unnecessary test and early deliveries by c-section. You doctor should make you more calm and relaxed about your pregnancy not make you more concerned!!!

I am a Jesus loving, breastfeeding, TTCing, cosleeping, mother of two boys:Xavier 4 , Malachi 9 mn, and married to my wonderful husband, Quentin for 4.5 years!!

toddler boybreastfeeding  Stay on "The Up & Up" in my group:  http:/www.cafemom.com/group/upandup

"Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalms 139:16

dosthepost
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Idk, I'm TTC after a recent MC, and I know that I'm going to be worried to death before I hear mine when I get pregnant too... The best advice anyone can give you is to just chill... the stress can hurt your child more than anything else.

lundaylove
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM

my thoughts exactly. no doctor should scare you,ever!

Quoting NoraDun:

Unless you have a history of problems....RELAX. Typically there are no problems...and if your Doctor is already flipping you out unnecessarily then I would switch doctors before you become farther along in your pregnancy. From my experience those are the kind of Doctors that push dangerous and unnecessary test and early deliveries by c-section. You doctor should make you more calm and relaxed about your pregnancy not make you more concerned!!!

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM

wave

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  these CafeMom Groups:
PREGNANCY Info On CafeMom!

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

jaxsons_mommy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Dont worry about it. You will be fine. I had an ultrasound done around 6 weeks and heard the heartbeat so i dont see y you cant.

tigger_200693
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:33 PM

They say that you can't hear the heart beat tell your 12 weeks along....so i don't no I'm just doing what my doctor tells me...

NoraDun
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Thats a good point...your doctor shouldn't make you worry because even worse case he could do an u/s and let you see the heartbeat. I went at 8 wks and they couldn't hear my son's heartbeat. They brought me back 4 weeks later and still couldn't hear it so they did an u/s. I saw the heartbeating then. They couldn't hear mine because I had an anterior placenta where the thicker part was in the font so they could pick up the heart beat eaily~ Its actually recommended to have an early u/s before 12 wks. Did you have one done??

Quoting jaxsons_mommy:

Dont worry about it. You will be fine. I had an ultrasound done around 6 weeks and heard the heartbeat so i dont see y you cant.

I am a Jesus loving, breastfeeding, TTCing, cosleeping, mother of two boys:Xavier 4 , Malachi 9 mn, and married to my wonderful husband, Quentin for 4.5 years!!

toddler boybreastfeeding  Stay on "The Up & Up" in my group:  http:/www.cafemom.com/group/upandup

"Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalms 139:16

Cisri1974
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:36 PM

My thoughts exactly on your doctor.  When is your first ultrasound, hon?  I got to see my little one at 5 weeks 5 days AND hear a heart beat, so it IS possible.  I'm not sure if it is my age (35 this month) that has gotten me so many ultrasounds (Tuesday's will be my 4th) or what it is, but let me tell you there is nothing like laying there either during the ultrasound or when they use the handheld and you hear that heartbeat.  Every doubt in your mind goes away and all you do is cry tears of joy because you can hear your little one's heartbeat proud and strong.  At least that is how it is for me when I go.  :-)

The point is: You'll be fine, sweetie.  Ignore, change and/or talk to your doctor after the comments that have scared you so much.  You're dealing with enough right now not to have to deal with horror stories from your doctor on top of it.  Maybe the guy thinks he is doing you a favor by being a realist, but damn he sure sounds like an ass.  (And this is why I go to female, not male, doctors.)

tigger_200693
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I don't no when my first altra sound will be all I no is I get to hear the heartbeat after october 5th or so they say.....

kittenripmaygo
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:40 PM

change your doctor.. no doctor should scare you. they should encourage you to do things to help but not give horror stories.

and don't worry.. you'll hear the heartbeat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)