Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hyphenated last names if you have one do you??????????poll

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:00 PM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: if you have one do you?

Options:

use both all the time

use both sometimes

use only the most recent

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

when do you use both and when do you use your most recent or the other alone??

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
NoraDun
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I have a hyphenated first name....after I voted I started thinking maybe you meant hyphenated last names....LOL....so which is it. My first name is Laura-Ann. My family and husband calls me Laura-Ann. Only people who really don't know me well call me Laura LOL...I will use it sometimes when I have to fill something out or tell people my name just because they get confused and its easier then spelling and respelling it then explaining LOL

I am a Jesus loving, breastfeeding, TTCing, cosleeping, mother of two boys:Xavier 4 , Malachi 9 mn, and married to my wonderful husband, Quentin for 4.5 years!!

toddler boybreastfeeding  Stay on "The Up & Up" in my group:  http:/www.cafemom.com/group/upandup

"Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalms 139:16

angelmom0405
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Quoting NoraDun:

I have a hyphenated first name....after I voted I started thinking maybe you meant hyphenated last names....LOL....so which is it. My first name is Laura-Ann. My family and husband calls me Laura-Ann. Only people who really don't know me well call me Laura LOL...I will use it sometimes when I have to fill something out or tell people my name just because they get confused and its easier then spelling and respelling it then explaining LOL

last names im bout to be married and dont think i want to use the whole name all the time but not sure how that works! lol i didnt think bout first names.

NoraDun
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Oh LOL sorry I voted when I shouldn't have then LOL. If I would of hyphenated my last name I would have been Laura-Ann Elizabeth Bellinger-Broggin and that would ofjust been way to much. I I am asked for my Maden name I put it otherwise I use Broggin!!

Quoting angelmom0405:

Quoting NoraDun:

last names im bout to be married and dont think i want to use the whole name all the time but not sure how that works! lol i didnt think bout first names.

I am a Jesus loving, breastfeeding, TTCing, cosleeping, mother of two boys:Xavier 4 , Malachi 9 mn, and married to my wonderful husband, Quentin for 4.5 years!!

toddler boybreastfeeding  Stay on "The Up & Up" in my group:  http:/www.cafemom.com/group/upandup

"Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalms 139:16

echoishername
by Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I use my full name on important things, like tax returns, job information, anything for the government. Any other time, I just use my husband's last name.

rosa_lee
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:21 PM

After I got married I took out a new ID and when I did so they used my last name and hyphenated it with my husbands last name. They said it was just for identification purposes but I didnt always have to use my maiden name. I just use my husbands last name for everything. I cant even remember the lst time I used my maiden name for anything.

babie113
by Jenny on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM

im a Lambert-Jones and i use it all the time lol

CafeMom Tickers
stsh
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Legal status and criticisms

Laws respecting married names vary. In areas whose legal systems derive from the English common law—such as most parts of the USA, Canada, and the UK—a name change usually does not require much legal action, because a person can choose to be known by any name (except with intent to defraud). Married persons who take their spouse's name must get a new driver's license and National Insurance or Social Security card, etc., and inform the company they work for, etc. However, the legal process for a name change due to marriage is, in many jurisdictions, still simpler and faster than for other kinds of name change. In many jurisdictions whose legal systems derive from the civil law—such as France, Spain, Belgium, the Canadian province of Quebec, and the U.S. state of Louisiana—however, the default position is for a woman's "legal name" to remain the same throughout life: Citizens there who wish to change their names legally must usually apply to do so via a formal procedure.

The term "maiden name" itself has been criticized by many American feminists since the 1970s. Those who find the traditional term unacceptable and even offensive say it demeans women by labelling them according to their sexual status ("maiden" is a synonym for "virgin"), and see this as a further sign of a maiden name being used to label a woman as the sexual property of a man. A more practical difficulty with the term is that it is not gender-neutral and thus cannot be used for men who change their names upon marriage. The term birth name is gender-neutral.

Nore info;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Married_and_maiden_names#Join_both_names

Joie_momx2
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Quoting echoishername:

I use my full name on important things, like tax returns, job information, anything for the government. Any other time, I just use my husband's last name.

This is what I do.. sometimes like at the docs, both last names don't fit...

Lilypie

Lilypie

Joie, wife of a brave Marine!

I'm a breastfeeding, anti-CIO, timeout, spanking when needed, baby wearing, rooming in, occasional co-sleeping, music playing kind of mom. And Proud of it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)