Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Swine Flu Vaccination

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

I didn't post this to find out what everyone is doing or try and talk the anti-vaxers into getting the Swine Flu shot. I wanted to post some info. I read on my facts sheet I was given after I got my seasonal flu shot the other day. There has been a lot of hype about the Swine Flu Vaccine maybe not being safe because it is new. When you think about it, every year the regular flu shot is a little different than the one the year before. I will definetly be getting my family and I the Swine Flu shot and I know that there are some people who are still undecided. The info. that I wanted to share is the following:

In 1976, a type of influenza (Swine Flu) vaccine was associated with Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Since then, flu vaccines have not been clearly linked to GBS. However, if there is a risk of GBS from current flu vaccines, it would be no more than 1 or 2 cases per million people vaccinated. This is much lower than the risk of severe influeza, which can be prevented by vaccination. This info. can be found at www.cdc.gov/flu

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melisawoosley
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Can I ask you WHY that you did post this then? Not trying to be mean. I'm not anti-vax i vaccinate my children proudly, but I will not be getting the swine flu vax since they're saying its linked to disorders in the brain sorry!

Karebear6101
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:31 PM

How rude can you be? I wanted to put that fact about the vaccine out there for those who are debating whether they want to get the vaccine or not. Only 1 to 2 cases per million got the GBS so how can you say that people are at high risk for brain disorders?

Quoting melisawoosley:

Can I ask you WHY that you did post this then? Not trying to be mean. I'm not anti-vax i vaccinate my children proudly, but I will not be getting the swine flu vax since they're saying its linked to disorders in the brain sorry!

tuckersmommy22
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Quoting Karebear6101:

How rude can you be? I wanted to put that fact about the vaccine out there for those who are debating whether they want to get the vaccine or not. Only 1 to 2 cases per million got the GBS so how can you say that people are at high risk for brain disorders?

Quoting melisawoosley:

1 to 2 cases is enough for me.  My son has epilepsy and substantial brain damage...so while I had already pretty much decided he wasn't going to get it, now I'm sure of it.  Not willing to take that risk.  

"If God brings you to it,
He will bring you through it.
Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment thank God."

~Audra (Tucker's Mommy)~
Karebear6101
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Do you know that he could get a brain disorder from a side effect of a medication he may be taking also? There are risks to everything.

Quoting tuckersmommy22:

Quoting Karebear6101:

Quoting melisawoosley:

1 to 2 cases is enough for me.  My son has epilepsy and substantial brain damage...so while I had already pretty much decided he wasn't going to get it, now I'm sure of it.  Not willing to take that risk.  

tuckersmommy22
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Quoting Karebear6101:

Do you know that he could get a brain disorder from a side effect of a medication he may be taking also? There are risks to everything.

Quoting tuckersmommy22:

Quoting Karebear6101:

Quoting melisawoosley:

Bitchy much because I disagree with you?  You don't think I don't know that?  Do you think you being a BITCH about it is going to change me giving him his epilepsy meds?  Do YOU know that seizures can cause more brain damage??  So yeah, I'm going to keep him on his meds to try to stop his seizures...and I will not ADD anything else that could cause him more problems.  Get over yourself.  Not everyone is going to be guinea pigs for a vaccine that is brand new and doesn't have enough testing to prove it's safe.  

Every moment thank God."

~Audra (Tucker's Mommy)~
Karebear6101
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Shows your maturity by insulting me. I am sorry that you can't comprehend that someone is just asking you a simple question. I was not being bitchy. I am stating the facts and at no time did I mention the seizure medication. Tylenol can cause brain damage as well as many other meds.

Quoting tuckersmommy22:

Quoting Karebear6101:

Quoting tuckersmommy22:

Quoting Karebear6101:

Quoting melisawoosley:

Bitchy much because I disagree with you?  You don't think I don't know that?  Do you think you being a BITCH about it is going to change me giving him his epilepsy meds?  Do YOU know that seizures can cause more brain damage??  So yeah, I'm going to keep him on his meds to try to stop his seizures...and I will not ADD anything else that could cause him more problems.  Get over yourself.  Not everyone is going to be guinea pigs for a vaccine that is brand new and doesn't have enough testing to prove it's safe.  

tuckersmommy22
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Quoting Karebear6101:

Shows your maturity by insulting me? I am sorry that you can't comprehend that someone is just asking you a simple question. I was not being bitchy. I am stating the facts and at no time did I mention the seizure medication. Tylenol can cause brain damage as well as many other meds.

Quoting tuckersmommy22:

Quoting Karebear6101:

Quoting tuckersmommy22:

Quoting Karebear6101:

Quoting melisawoosley:

You come across condescending and rude.  I take my son's health and safety very seriously, so there is no way I will give him something that is so new and not tested enough to prove that it won't be harmful.  JMO.

Every moment thank God."

~Audra (Tucker's Mommy)~
melisawoosley
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Ok i didn't read your link. You just said that you weren't doing it to convince so the only thing that I asked was why you did it then. Don't be hateful! you twisted my words take a chill pill or a hormone or something!

mamaof32007
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:55 PM

hen I talked to our ped about the vaccine that is hat he had said, that the reg flu vaccine changes every year due to the flu always changing.  He said it is really no diffrent.  I trust our ped and our kids including ourselves will be getting the shot!

Karebear6101
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Thats good!

Quoting mamaof32007:

hen I talked to our ped about the vaccine that is hat he had said, that the reg flu vaccine changes every year due to the flu always changing.  He said it is really no diffrent.  I trust our ped and our kids including ourselves will be getting the shot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)