Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want a cat..no maybe I don't..maybe I do..*sigh..just take a look*

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:44 PM
  • 30 Replies

Hello all! I am here looking for some advice/input..cat

Today I am suppose to go look at 2 kittens today (only want one though) and my family and I would like to add a kitten to our family but I want to make sure this is the right decision first!

Well I have 3 kids ages 4 1/2 (boy), 2 years (boy), and a 10 month old (girl). Im a SAHM and my husband is in the military and works from 3 pm til 11 pm.

I want to get a dog but haven't found the "right" one yet, and I have pretty much grown up with cats and I love kittens! Anyways there are some worries and things that are holding me back from getting the kitten right away! ...The kitten is female, only 10 weeks old but is box trained. Im really worried that she'll end up spraying my whole house and make it smell like nasty cat pee...and I'm scared that she might scratch or harm my kids. She is part siamese which I have heard as nice cats.

Sorry this is kind of rambled..what Im asking is what can I do to avoid her peeing all over my house? My husband says that maybe since we are only getting one that she won't spray because she won't have competition. But not sure if thats true....

Anybody have any advice? Should I go through with this??

Thanks!confused

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
halosmommy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:47 PM

We added a kitten to the family when Halo was about two months old. So far the kitten is great with the baby just have to watch those claws! You may want to declaw the kitten or just look into a friendly dog. Cats are a lot of work and dont have as much patitence as dogs do for babies.

AngelicaRenee

girl cats don't spray. it's males that will spray. some even if they are fixed. But siamese can be pretty mean cats a lot of the times. (not all of them, but a lot of them do have a temper) There is one breed that I love, it's a shantilly Tiffany. They are VERY laid back and put up with just about anything. And they are beautiful cats! You can google them.

C_Caille

I do belive it is the male cats you have to worry about spraying. Females you have to worry about kittens. If it is a female get her spade and she should be fine.

Cisri1974
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I have had up to three cats at once before, and had no problems with them spraying because they grew up together.  BUT, not all cats are like that.  I introduced a new kitty when I was down to only one who was around 12 years old at the time.  The oldest started spraying the house like mad so we had to get rid of the new kitty.  In that regard, your hubby is correct...they do become territorial and get into "pissing" matches so to speak.  LOL

If you are worried about claws, then declaw when it is still a kitten.  As long as it stays indoors it will be fine.  I have heard, however, that even if the kitty gets out on that rare occasion and doesn't have claws it can still get up a tree with ease.  I don't know that from personal experience, so use your best judgment.

AngelicaRenee
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM

honestly I think declawing is very mean. and heard that a lot of times, declawing can make a cat meaner because it has no way to defend itself. Declawing cats would be the equivalent of cutting off your fingers at the first knuckle.

Quoting halosmommy:

We added a kitten to the family when Halo was about two months old. So far the kitten is great with the baby just have to watch those claws! You may want to declaw the kitten or just look into a friendly dog. Cats are a lot of work and dont have as much patitence as dogs do for babies.

dylansmom08
by Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Well as far as I know female cats don't spray and are far better at using a litter box than a male cat is. If I had a choice I would definatly go for a female cat, although the cost to have them fixed is higher than a male cat is is worth it. Female cats are more gentle tempered and if she is a kitten and grows up around the kids she should do just fine. On the other hand the same can be said about dogs, if they grow up around kids they can be taught to be gentle but with a puppy you got the whole chewing issue and it's much harder to house train a dog than it is a cat. I would go for a cat they are much cleaner by nature and more dependable in their behaviors. I would trust a cat around my kids a lot more than a dog.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Quoting halosmommy:

NO NO NO! To declaw, they take the entire first digit of the cat's toes. It can cause numerous complications, not to mention the fact you take away your cat's biggest defense that it has when you declaw.

meg.gif Meg picture by purplevaze

Cisri1974
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Male cats are typically the ones you have to worry about, but my oldest kitty would do it and it was a female.  Mainly her "spraying" was just plain not going to to the little box and throwing her scent around here and there by peeing on the carpet a little here, then a little there, etc.  She was a weird cat...

Quoting C_Caille:

I do belive it is the male cats you have to worry about spraying. Females you have to worry about kittens. If it is a female get her spade and she should be fine.

Army_Wife41
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:51 PM

If she is not spayed, she will spray. If she is, the chances of that happening are pretty slim. Also, I am not sure if I am dreaming this or not, but whenever I was...you know...visiting aunt flo...lol, my female unspayed cat would spray like crazy. Also she did the whole time I was pregnant with my son. We invested in a Bissell Little Green, and that worked wonders, but eventually had to give her up because she just didnt stop after I gave birth. She had no problems with my son though, never scratched him or was hostile toward him at all.

We also have a male cat, he is neutered, and he is not as affectionate toward my son, but he really jsut doesnt have an interest in him. He has also never been hostile toward him. I think it jsut depends on the cat. I would take your kids when yo ugo to meet the kittens! It might help that they grow up around the kids too! They will be used to having them around.

I am a BF, formula supplementing, never needed to try the CIO method, vaccinating, one day will try ERF, never going to co-sleep, very loving mother and wife, who tries to not be judgemental, will send my kids to public school, doesn't care about your opinion on the war in Iraq or Afghanistan, supports our troops, married to a soldier, baby making factory...wife to Adam, mommy to Jeremiah and our new baby.

Cisri1974
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 5:55 PM

True, it can cause complications, especially for older cats, but when a kitten those complications are usually greatly reduced as long as you take care of the wounds properly after surgery.  I totally understand the defense argument, but if it is an indoor cat claws are not needed for defense.  I wouldn't advise that if you have multiple animals as to me then they do need defense, but if the kitten is the only one then by all means.  As for them becoming meaner, the declawed cats I've seen have been sweet as all get out.  Not saying it doesn't happen, just the ones I've seen are still very mild mannered.

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting halosmommy:

NO NO NO! To declaw, they take the entire first digit of the cat's toes. It can cause numerous complications, not to mention the fact you take away your cat's biggest defense that it has when you declaw.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)