Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My carpet smells worse thean ever, what do I do? EDITED

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM
  • 30 Replies

My daughter had an accident (pee) on her floor a few days ago. I asked cm for idea on what to do to get the smell out. Many suggested vinegar in my carpet machine. So, I tried it. The floor is finally dry, but smells worse than ever. A smell mixture between vinegar and pee. Ive got company coming over tomorrow, and I'm totally embarrassed of the smell. What do I do? Help.

ok so Im going to try the baking soda. Can I just sprinkle it on the carpet and vaccuum it up?

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
housewife420
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM

trust me the carpet company has seen worse i guarantee it lol my hubbs worked for serv pro for a while and they even did crime scenes, murders suicides etc. im sure a lil kids pee is the least of their worries:)

housewife420
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:10 PM

oh and hubbs says whoever told you to put vinegar in the carpet machine is really stupid and your lucky it didnt ruin your carpet lol

littlestchef
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:12 PM

try baking soda, it works for trash cans, I'm sure it could work for your carpet....

Good Luck!

Little_bug
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM

did you soak it up first?  What you need to do is soak it with HOT water down to the pad then soak it up( I suggest using diapers they get it the best); repeat.  After you have done it twice SCRUB the heck out of it with 409 carpet cleaner, let that dry, vacuum the area THEN do the vinegar and while it's still wet GRIND baking soda into the carpet.  This will need to dry completly, vacuum that up, then use arm n hammer baking soda carpet sprinkle and let that sit over night and vacuum that up. 

Now this will actually take a few days so if I were you I would go to the store and get the new fabreeze with gain apple mango tango and spray that just before your company arrives and use a glade plug in that meshes well with it.  This is not a fix it, simply a cover up until your company leaves and you can spend a few days with the remedy.

In the future if this happens have the 409 carpet cleaner on hand and I always had a cheap package of diapers on hand so you can clean it up immediatly and you won't have to worry.

xotee2006
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Try a steam cleaner with STEAM cleaner solution.. and wash the shit outta the area.    i hope it helps.  thats gotta be a nastyyy smell.

i have a pro heat cleaner and it worked wonders when my dog was a puppy and pee'din the house!

Little_bug
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Quoting housewife420:

oh and hubbs says whoever told you to put vinegar in the carpet machine is really stupid and your lucky it didnt ruin your carpet lol

your husband is a carpet cleaner and he said this?  WOW, remind me NOT to hire him EVER.

xotee2006
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:15 PM

WOW, that is a lot of stuff to buy and do! goodluck!

Quoting Little_bug:

did you soak it up first?  What you need to do is soak it with HOT water down to the pad then soak it up( I suggest using diapers they get it the best); repeat.  After you have done it twice SCRUB the heck out of it with 409 carpet cleaner, let that dry, vacuum the area THEN do the vinegar and while it's still wet GRIND baking soda into the carpet.  This will need to dry completly, vacuum that up, then use arm n hammer baking soda carpet sprinkle and let that sit over night and vacuum that up. 

Now this will actually take a few days so if I were you I would go to the store and get the new fabreeze with gain apple mango tango and spray that just before your company arrives and use a glade plug in that meshes well with it.  This is not a fix it, simply a cover up until your company leaves and you can spend a few days with the remedy.

In the future if this happens have the 409 carpet cleaner on hand and I always had a cheap package of diapers on hand so you can clean it up immediatly and you won't have to worry.

housewife420
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:18 PM

lol yeah they actually do things the right way the first time. so you would rather not listen to someone who worked in the field for over 7 years? 

Quoting Little_bug:

Quoting housewife420:

your husband is a carpet cleaner and he said this?  WOW, remind me NOT to hire him EVER.

Little_bug
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:21 PM

my friend's brother WORKS in the field and has for MANY years.  Sometimes they have people who are HIGHLY allergic to soap so they have to use natural remedies.  VINEGAR and baking soda is one.  They soak the carpet with HOT water then suck it up and then clean with vinegar bakingsoda mix.

incidently I do it in my own home for pet accidents

Quoting housewife420:

lol yeah they actually do things the right way the first time. so you would rather not listen to someone who worked in the field for over 7 years? 

Quoting Little_bug:

Quoting housewife420:

Kweeni
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)