Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do u now when ur child is ready for a big girls bed????

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

my daugther is 2 years and 1month. she is still in a crib with full sides. how long should we wait tell she is ready for the side to come off. (her crib is a 3 in one crib) the next step is to take the out side off and put 2 small sides on. this would make it that she could get in and OUT by her self. and that kinda scares me. i am scared she will not want to go to bed and play all night in her room. she is sneaky and all that. should i just leave her in her crib for a while longer. now she is not the size and weight of a tipical 2 year old. she is only 20lb and about 30 in tall. she is behind due to heart probs and she lost time growing when she was smaller. she was only 5lb11oz when born. but anyway should i try it or just wait????sleep

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilianasmom1116
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:56 PM

i put dd in a big girl bed at about 20 months. she does great at night, especially when she is tired. i think thats a key. nap time she still goes in her "old" bed with all sides. i really started her in the bed because i got it for free and figured why not?? so we tried and she does great. her room is upstairs so i put a gate up so she cant get out of her room at night. i would try it, if it doesn't work then give it a little more time, good luck though!

MommyOnLI
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:06 PM

i put DS in his bed at 13 months old.  i ijust put two bed rails on each side of the bed (his bed isnt against the wall)

i have NEVER had a problem with DS going to bed and staying in there.

if he does wake up (on rare occasions) DH or I will lay with him until he falls back asleep.

i do NOT believe in toddler beds...  DD will be in her big girl bed by 13 months as well.

i think the later you wait the harder it is

LuvMyHannahNZac
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Her size is not really an important factor here, IMO. My DD is 29 mths and barely 22 lbs. She is not typical size either. We tried her in the "big girl" bed the night she turned 2. Didn't go so well, she wouldn't stay in it and was up all night. So, back to the crib she went. We just put her in her bed again, in July when she was 27 mths. She did MUCH better, she stays in it and sleeps all night. I would suggest just trying, and if it's too hard wait. There is no magic age they need out of the crib...it's just when they are ready. Here is a pic of her the first night in her big girl bed!! The first time we tried, it was the crib converted to the toddler bed...she did better in an actual bed...

Firewoman33
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:20 PM

We just put my son in when he turned 2. No problems. Stays right in and goes to sleep form the very first time. The only "problem" is that when he wakes up he stays in his bed playing quietly so I don't alway realize he's awake.

For us it was time to put him inot a big kid bed when he started clibing out of the crib. Then due to complete laziness/low priority it didn't happen for a few months. Until 1 day I told my DH that ds was turning 2 and cancel his other plans we were putting the bed up. lol

I know my SIL does it at 18 mos. for her kids.

I would do like the other pp said and just try it. You can always move her back if you'd like.

nellame98
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:26 PM

just had to say how cute she is in her big girl bed.   they grow up so fast. my dd is 10 months and  i cant beleive it.

Quoting LuvMyHannahNZac:

Her size is not really an important factor here, IMO. My DD is 29 mths and barely 22 lbs. She is not typical size either. We tried her in the "big girl" bed the night she turned 2. Didn't go so well, she wouldn't stay in it and was up all night. So, back to the crib she went. We just put her in her bed again, in July when she was 27 mths. She did MUCH better, she stays in it and sleeps all night. I would suggest just trying, and if it's too hard wait. There is no magic age they need out of the crib...it's just when they are ready. Here is a pic of her the first night in her big girl bed!! The first time we tried, it was the crib converted to the toddler bed...she did better in an actual bed...

lovelymommy4782
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:30 PM

My oldest was out of her crib by 16 months. At first it was kind of hard but I really didn't have a toddler bed for her because I was visiting my father which turned into me staying here for 2 months because of my pregnancy with my youngest. Within 2 weeks I had her laying down by herself and within minutes she would go to sleep. Everytime she got up I would ask her why, take care of her, and lay her back down. My youngest was out of her crib at 16/17 months too. I didn't really have that much of a problem with her either. Once both of my girls had their own toddler beds I noti ced it started to become a problem because they wanted to play with each other instead of going to sleep. When enough is enough I popped their butts and laid them back down. From time to time I have to stay in their room until they fall asleep, but that is maybe 2/3 times a week. But my girls are 2 and 3, plus they use the potty as an excuse to get up.  Good Luck on it.

Mommy of 2 little angels

lovelymommy4782
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Quoting Firewoman33:

We just put my son in when he turned 2. No problems. Stays right in and goes to sleep form the very first time. The only "problem" is that when he wakes up he stays in his bed playing quietly so I don't alway realize he's awake.

For us it was time to put him inot a big kid bed when he started clibing out of the crib. Then due to complete laziness/low priority it didn't happen for a few months. Until 1 day I told my DH that ds was turning 2 and cancel his other plans we were putting the bed up. lol

I know my SIL does it at 18 mos. for her kids.

I would do like the other pp said and just try it. You can always move her back if you'd like.

I wish my girls did that. Sit in their room and play for awhile. No...they run around my house (my oldest knows how to climb the baby gate and open it) they get what food they want then come get in bed with me. Sometimes I have toliet paper everywhere in my house, lol. They always have me up by 700-730 every morning.

Mommy of 2 little angels

leahs_mom07
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:23 AM

My DD is 22 months and she has been in her own bed for a long time...probably since she was like 14 months or younger. she's really little. barely 21 pounds but i found it ridiculous that she can walk, talk, and act like a normal kid yet she was stuck in a stupid crib. it gave her independance and i love it, too :) can't hurt to try 

CafeMom Tickers
rebecca_tal4
by Member on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:34 AM

i moved my oldest dd into a twin size bed at about 2 1/2. she stayed in bed and never tried to get out, my youngest is two and we just put her in a toddler bed about a month ago when we moved. she  WOULD NOT stop climbing out of her crib and fell a few times. since we put her in the toddler bed she stays put even at nap time. but i think thats due to our new schedule, and having to get up so early every morning to take my son to school. 

what really sold it to my oldest dd was getting to pick pretty bedding. tinkerbell was a hit!

if that is a problem then just put up a baby gate, then when your dd does falls asleep playing with toys, then just put her in her bed.

the only thing that is REALLY going to work is persistence and a routine!

Sumommy
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:39 AM

My DD was about the same size, shes 3 now, when she was 2 1/5 we switched her to a toddler bed, cause she was clibing out of her crib. I was scared and thought it would be a nightmare, but the first night she stayed in it, and every night after that, now shes in a big girl bed. I think if shes old enough to come and get you, or if you have a camara on her, shes probally ready.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)