Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vaccinations - Do They Cause Autism?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:21 PM
  • 7 Replies

O.k., I do not want to hear from anybody who will say that only horrible mothers who deserve the death penalty would question vaccinating their child.  I want informed information so that I can make an informed decision.  I had my two older children vaccinated, but now with Jenny McCarthy being so vocal about the possible link between vaccinations and autism, I am wondering whether I should POSTPONE my 5 month old's remaining shots until she is a little older, but before she begins kindergarden.  Does anyone have any info on this?  Has anyone had bad experiences with vaccinations?  Thanks!

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Rileyscute
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I have a child with autism, no it  was not caused by vax (he even has regressive Autism) Jenny McCarthy is a quack, and a celebrity...so if say Obama told you not to get vax, would you do it? (lol)

eta..I absolutely do NOT believe that vax causes Autism and it has been proven that vax does not cause Autism

rayzensun
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:25 PM

the only vaccines that are thought to possibly have a link to autism are the ones that have more than one live virus in them,

like the MMR shot

(measles, mumps, rubella)

headeraspergerwomanmetteksten-1.gif picture by rayzensun
rayzensun
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I think it's safe to say that if the president came on the air and said a certain vaccine was dangerous, the demand for that vaccine would go down dramatically

Quoting Rileyscute:

I have a child with autism, no it  was not caused by vax (he even has regressive Autism) Jenny McCarthy is a quack, and a celebrity...so if say Obama told you not to get vax, would you do it? (lol)

headeraspergerwomanmetteksten-1.gif picture by rayzensun
momto2boys973
by Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Several studies have shown that vaccines DO NOT cause autism. It is possible that in children already susceptible they trigger autism, but they don't create it out of the blue.

Now, good for you for wanting to inform yourself. But try to find some better sources. Jenny McCarthy doesn't really have any medical knowledge or experience and is simply a mom who had a bad experience and made her own personal theory. But as much as I respect her as a mother for taking charge of her son's life, she's not a reliable source of information. Issues that are controversial like vaccines, or circumcision or co-sleeping are difficult to realy be informed about because so many sensationalist propaganda can be disguised as reliable information. So my personal suggestion is that you discuss your concerns with your doctor, let him inform you of the benefits and the risks of each vaccine, discuss with him the contents of the vaccines he offers (I know my ped only gives thimerosal-free vaccines, for example) and make a choice that better suits you and your child together with him. To be honest, I'm willing to bet you're about to get many horror stories about vaccinations and other horror stories of children getting a disease that could've been prevented with a vaccine and those are personal experiences that don't necessarily apply to you and your child. And it will only confuse you further. I would talk to an actual health professional about the matter.

Sharon

Rileyscute
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Jenny Mccarthy is a flake, and her son has epilepsy with Autism like symptoms, not Autism..I seriously do not trust someone that says her 'indigo' child has something..sorry, this is my opinion..I could go on about it all day..but whatever, people will chose to follow whatever thing makes them feel more secure in the fact that they have a culprit, but there is not a cure.

Quoting rayzensun:

I think it's safe to say that if the president came on the air and said a certain vaccine was dangerous, the demand for that vaccine would go down dramatically

Quoting Rileyscute:

Rileysmom31209
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM

I have heard that the shot they get when they are 18 months might be a cause because it has a  lot of mercury. I was told this just recently so i am not to sure on the  detail. But i do know that if a child has autism you can tell right away or not until they are 18 mnths and then they start to regress. I have learned some of this because i am a special needs aide and i work with these children. Any information you may need i can get...

bean06162004
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Do not ask for "informed information" on cafemom. All you are going to get are OPINIONS! Go to the library, talk to your doctor, google it! Just don't ask on here, you won't get anywhere. If you truly want to get informed and are serious about it, you should do your homework yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)