Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low Breast milk, Sick on Formula, What to Do?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:52 PM
  • 48 Replies

Hi all Moms. I was needing some advice about what to feed my 6 week old baby girl. I wanted to just breast feed but she was losing too much weight too fast so I had to give her some formula. I have been trying to raise my breast milk supply, even took More Milk Vitamins, and I just noticed I pump only 1 1/2 oz. in one sitting on average. So I have to go back to giving her formula but she seems to get sick everytime I give it to her. I have given her Nestle Good Start for easy digestion and she still gets sick. I don't mean just a little spit up here and there, I mean projectile vomitting to where she's soaked, I'm soaked, and the couch is soaked where we were sitting (or where ever we are sitting at the time). Does this sound like she is lactose intolerant? Does anyone know of any good formula we should try? Is there a way I can get more breast milk that I am missing? I do know her father and I are both lactose intolerant if that means anything. 

baby

We love our Hazel LeAnn
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3boyz1princess
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Enfimil A.R.  it is a pink can it is for babies with digestive problems  my youngest was on it. It helps with gas and projectial vomiting

in loveboy n girltwin boys

HUBBY & ME       CHANDLER,MADSION,CARSON & COLTON

EmilysMom105
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:02 PM

You should try Similac in the bright orange can.Its for less spit up.My nephew is on it and it has helped tremendously!!Also u may want to try mixing your breast milk with the formula even if u r not going to go to formula only.That way the nutrition from the breast milk is there but the quanity from the formula is filling their belly up.Good Luck!!!

Angela

ashwa
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:04 PM

I want to try it, but I already have like five defferent formulas I bought that make her sick. I'm afraid that I'll spend my last dollar on one that will still make her sick. Is there a way I can get a few different samples for free, or should I just buy a thing of soy ASSUMING that is the problem but still not sure. Is it bad to give your baby just soy if that's not really the problem? I don't have any money. As it is, I already have to take money out of my rent money to buy just one thing of formula.

baby

We love our Hazel LeAnn
ThePinkRobot
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Are you only pumping?  The amount you get from pumping does not indicate how much your child is getting straight from the breast. 

Lydiam
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:09 PM

I had a similar problem.  I never had enough milk for my baby girl from the get go, and she hated most formulas.  Probably because of the taste, but they also made her spit up a lot.  The solution for us was:

Similac Sensitive Ready-to-Feed (32 oz)

It's a lactose-free formula.  It also tastes way better than the other formulas.  I don't know if you have tasted formulas before, but I would taste every single one before giving it to my baby girl.  The Similac Sensitive is a little sweeter than most, the Pedi said it's the one most babies like because it's a bit more like breast milk.  Since I breast-fed for as long as I could supplementing with formula, it worked great because it wasn't too different of a taste for her (compare to other formulas we tried).

The ready-to-feed version is a bit more expensive than the powder one, but it was the one that worked well for us.  You can try the powder version first, but the ready-to-feed is always a great option.

Hope this helps... I know how distressing your situation is.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

ashwa
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Thanks. I just hear people suggesting all different types of formula but I don't have the money to buy them all just to find none work. Don't get me wrong, I would spend all the money in the world for the health of my baby if I could, but we all know money doesn't grow on tree's and I don't even know if we will have enough to pay the rent you know? Sounds kind of bad that we had a baby with such low income, but when we got pregnant we both were working full time but because of the recession BOTH of our hours were cute a few months later.

Quoting EmilysMom105:

You should try Similac in the bright orange can.Its for less spit up.My nephew is on it and it has helped tremendously!!Also u may want to try mixing your breast milk with the formula even if u r not going to go to formula only.That way the nutrition from the breast milk is there but the quanity from the formula is filling their belly up.Good Luck!!!

baby

We love our Hazel LeAnn
ShadowRaven
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:13 PM

It's probably congenital lactose intolerance, since both of you have it. You could try the Sensitive formula. It's milk based, but lactose free. Otherwise, there's other formulas you can try (soy, alimentum, etc) if you aren't able to get your supply back up.

Come join my group, The Speakeasy!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheSpeakeasy

Lydiam
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:14 PM

The Similac Sensitive Ready-to-feed (32oz) is about $6.00 and will last for 3 days refrigerated.  Just buy one bottle and see how it goes.

Similac also has the Similac Sentivie RS, which is the same lactose-free formula but with added rice cereal to make it a little heavier and help babies not spit it up easily.  I tried this, but it constipated my baby.

Anyways, Similac Sensive was the one for us.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

ashwa
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Thanks. I don't have a problem getting her to drink any formula. She drinks it all down pretty well amd loves the taste of them all. Just seconds after she is done though, she throws it all up. It almost seems that everything she ate comes up instantly once she's done. Could it just be that she ate too much to fast?

Quoting Lydiam:

I had a similar problem.  I never had enough milk for my baby girl from the get go, and she hated most formulas.  Probably because of the taste, but they also made her spit up a lot.  The solution for us was:

Similac Sensitive Ready-to-Feed (32 oz)

It's a lactose-free formula.  It also tastes way better than the other formulas.  I don't know if you have tasted formulas before, but I would taste every single one before giving it to my baby girl.  The Similac Sensitive is a little sweeter than most, the Pedi said it's the one most babies like because it's a bit more like breast milk.  Since I breast-fed for as long as I could supplementing with formula, it worked great because it wasn't too different of a taste for her (compare to other formulas we tried).

The ready-to-feed version is a bit more expensive than the powder one, but it was the one that worked well for us.  You can try the powder version first, but the ready-to-feed is always a great option.

Hope this helps... I know how distressing your situation is.

baby

We love our Hazel LeAnn
2MonstersxMommy
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Pump for 15 minutes(both breasts at the same time), stop for 30, pump for another 15. Do this for 4 hrs, then take a 2 hr break. I promise this will get your supply up and going!!! Also, try joining a large breastfeeding advice/support group on here, they have some great ones:)

God Bless:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)