Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speech development

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:38 PM
  • 18 Replies

at what age should you be worried about your child having trouble with speech development? my dd is 14 months and only says mama... she will bable in baby talk all day and understand when i talk to her but has not said anything but mama . i know that being concern about her speech maybe a few months out but i just really want to know so whenever she goes to the doctor and nothing has changed i can let him know.  thanks for the help

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:44 PM

If she seems to understand you and follow simple instructions.. then I wouldn't worry about it much. She might just not want to say much at this point.

My son is the same age and says about 12 words and 3 signs... but I have friends with babys the same age and they only say a couple of words.  All of them seem fine though... my son just likes to chatter.

I would work on some baby sign language... it will help her communicate her needs as well as develop language skills.

CariO.
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I'll add another question and check back w/ this post tomorrow...  Should I be concerned that my 2 1/2 year old daughter cannot articulate her words?  We were worried and had her hearing checked, and they are fine.  Now we're considering speech therapy.  Is it necessary?  Advice?

dylansmom08
by Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:51 PM

My son had a slow start to speech as well, he was two years old before he really took off talking, he still babbles a lot and we have to stop him and tell him that we don't understand and that he needs to use his words. He is starting to pick up now and no longer qualifies for speech therapy, if you are conserned I would suggest having her evaluated by a speech therapist just to see what level she is on verbally. For hunter his verbal IQ is still much lower than his visual and memory IQ but he is on track for his age with speech.

Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:21 PM

wave

Thank you for posting on the group!  We're glad you're here!

You may also want to post on  these CafeMom Groups:
Children with Speech Disorders/Delays

Toddlers & Preschoolers   

Medical questions

We suggest joining and meeting other Moms in these Recommended Groups, too!

If you have a question or would like to share advice with other moms, just click the "Answers" tab at the top of every page on CafeMom.

The search bar at the top of every page can be used to search for specific information.

We hope you're enjoying the site!

- The Cafe Group Admin Team

Please join:
 Advice for Moms        The CafeMom  Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Kids, Fun & Photos! Kids, Fun & Photos!    Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
The Cafe                        CafeMom Hollywood

crys6278
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM

All of my kids have had speech issues. Wait until she is 18 months and call your school board office and they will get you started on the right path i.e testing. Make sure when you are talking to her, you are looking directly at her so she can follow your lips. Get different colored blocks and practice saying the colors and the numbers. Be creative an ingage her in speech when ever possible. Good luck.

tyfry7496
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Bring it up to her doctor at her next visit but I wouldn't worry until she is closer to 2 yrs old. My niece didn't talk very much until she was 2 and then didn't  stop talking. She is 12 and still talks all the time. As long as she understands what she is being told, follows simple directions and comprehends...she should be ok. She just may be slow to talk.  

Loved4Sure
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 10:10 PM

until your DD is about 18 months old she may only be tested for speech recognition and not what she can clearly say. If she is on par for her cognitive age most speech therapist will assume she will develop a speech pattern eventually.

It is such a fine line.

If you are uncomfortable with her language progression you can be adamant about having her tested and getting her early intervention. Just stick to it and make sure that you get it if you really want it. Because in most states after 24 months they surpass the age for early intervention and you will have to find a preschool or pre k that has a speech program and get her in it.

what state are you in? Because some states are different. 

Loved4Sure
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Quoting CariO.:

I'll add another question and check back w/ this post tomorrow...  Should I be concerned that my 2 1/2 year old daughter cannot articulate her words?  We were worried and had her hearing checked, and they are fine.  Now we're considering speech therapy.  Is it necessary?  Advice?

I am an OT not a speech therapist but I work closely with them and I also work in early intervention. I would say that at 2 1/2, and by the time you actually get a consultation your little one will have missed the mark for EI.

Having said that, you can still enroll your LO in a speech program. Most preschools have a curriculum for soeech development. SOmetimes they aren't as close as you would like them to be.  You should really contact your BOE and see what options are available to you.

CariO.
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 10:19 PM

You used several acronyms I'm unfamiliar with...?  You're an OT (occupational therapist).  The others I don't know.

Quoting Loved4Sure:

Quoting CariO.:

I am an OT not a speech therapist but I work closely with them and I also work in early intervention. I would say that at 2 1/2, and by the time you actually get a consultation your little one will have missed the mark for EI.

Having said that, you can still enroll your LO in a speech program. Most preschools have a curriculum for soeech development. SOmetimes they aren't as close as you would like them to be.  You should really contact your BOE and see what options are available to you.

ginger813
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I wouldn't worry too much yet. All kids start talking at different times, she may just be taking her time! My youngest daughter is in speech therapy now. She is a little over two (28 months). I was concerned with her speech development, so at her two year check up, I brought it up to her doctor. She gave me the number for Early Intervention. They evaluated her and found her to be at an 18 month level for speech, when she was 26 months. She was only saying about 10 words at that time,and not all of them were clear. So, I guess that means that by 18 months, they should be saying 10 words. Hopefully, that gives you some kind of "guidelines" to go by. Just keep working with her. One of the most important things I have learned is not to speak for them. When she wants something, make her try to say it, instead of just pointing. My daughter's therapist said that that is one of the biggest reasons for speech delays. The kid just doesn't feel like she needs to talk. My DD has only been in speech therapy for a little over a month, and has made a huge improvement, so even if your DD would need it, don't worry. It will all work out, she WILL learn how to talk! Good luck!

toddler girlgirl on a swing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)