Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If breastmilk is SOO damn good...EDIT IN RED

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:54 PM
  • 82 Replies

then why do I have to give my baby extra vitamins everyday? I am EBF and her ped. wants me to give her these little disovable pills with vitamins A C D and Iron. Well if breastmilk has EVERYTHING a baby needs, then why do I need to give her extra stuff?  I eat very well, and my daughter is right on track with everything, she is gaining weight well, she is in 90% for height, so obviously she is getting what she needs.

I know the ped. just wants to make sure, but I just dont get it. If it is the best thing for baby, and supposedly has everything the baby needs then why am I suppose to give her vitamins?

THIS IS NOT A BM/FORMULA DISCUSSION.....PLEASE LEAVE FORMULA OUT OF THIS. I DON'T WANT A BIG BASHING THING HAPPENING....I WILL DELETE THIS IS THAT HAPPENS......

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma3kids
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:56 PM

That's interesting.  I breastfed all 3 of mine, and plan to with my 4th, and I've never had to do that. 

ToriBabe1221
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM

i never did that. i just took my baby outside for a few minutes each day and we were set!!

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM

We were told to give my son any vitamins

cute_mommy19
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM

i personally think that breast milk is not any healthier than formula. my dd is 9 months formula fed. and perfectly healthy. i dont really see the difference.

shaunalynn25
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM

I have heard of vit D drops because BM doesn't have vit D. But as long as your baby gets a little sunlight everyday you probably don't even need that. I never gave it to my son and he is fine. BM DOES have everything your baby needs. No other vitamins needed. Crazy Dr...

belleandelismom
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:00 AM

My kids' pedi said it's what the AAP is recommending now. I don't give my DS any vitamins though. 

Mommy of 2 great kids and wife of the best husband ever!!!

KGeist86
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:01 AM

not talking about formula

Quoting cute_mommy19:

i personally think that breast milk is any healthier than formula. my dd is 9 months formula fed. and perfectly healthy. i dont really see the difference.

steph2884
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:01 AM

They don't need all those extra vitamins. I never gave my son those vitamins when I was breastfeeding him and he is a very healthy 2 year old being in the 95th percentile for height. He's taller than some four year olds! He doesn't have any vitamin deficiencies. Vitamin D is what they say does not pass through breast milk. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I live in a state where we  have sun shine at least 350 days a year so vitamin D is in high abundance here... and vitamin D is produced by the body with exposure to sunlight. Make sure you take your baby out in the sun every day (nothing too much as sunburn would be a bad thing!!)

shaunalynn25
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:02 AM

Quoting cute_mommy19:

i personally think that breast milk is any healthier than formula. my dd is 9 months formula fed. and perfectly healthy. i dont really see the difference.

You are right, formula is fine and a great alternative. There is nothing wrong with it and FF babies can grow up just as healthy and smart. FF moms are just as good as moms, BUT breast milk IS indeed better. It is a fact that shouldn't be discredited. It is VERY different than formula actually. So I am not bashing formula or the moms, but I have to stand up for the benefits of BM.

MNLETLE
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 12:02 AM

I've never given either of my children vitamins. Basically, it's because of the day and age we live in IMO. We doubt what our bodies are capable of. My son is living proof of how fantastic breast milk is though. He is growing and thriving on nothing else but...and can't imagine he'd be so healthy and well off on formula....saying this because my daughter did have some formula. Throwing that in there for all the drama queens on here.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)