Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New house, no sleep.

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM
  • 6 Replies

My dd is almost 3 & I have a really hard time getting her to sleep in our new house. We used to live with my sister but have moved & we are settled in. Its been over a week & she cries at night to not sleep in her room & sleep with me. She had her own room at my sisters. Help?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gacgbaker
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Is everything in the room new or just the room?  It probably will just take her a bit to get used to her enviroment.  Have you tried starting a really special bed time routine and making it a "special" thing to get to sleep in the new "cool"' room.  Maybe spend some time reading her a few stories and layng in bed with her talking about how cool her new room is.  You could even let her go to the store to pick out a new nightlight or something similar to that to go in the new room so she feels more like its "her own".  Hope you start getting some sleep soon!

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Pregnancy, After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers, Unique Baby Names, Children's Health Issues

marywilliams
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:25 AM

My stepdaughter was just about to turn 3 when we moved to a new house.  We had some nights where she was unhappy in her new room.  We did get her a "big girl" bed - my mom gave us a daybed for her.  We told her she would get that when we moved.  That helped make it more "hers" and she was so much more comfortable.

Also, my husband got some air freshener and told her it was "monster spray" to keep out the monsters.  He still sprays it before she goes to bed - she's almost 5.  If it was really bad, she got a few minutes with Daddy and then had to go back to her bed.

Eventually she adjusted, we do still have some difficult nights but we attribute that to her having 2 homes.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

Davina7672
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 10:54 PM

well, it's a different house, different situation, different room.  no matter waht, it's gonna take some getting used to.  I would put a rocking chair, or at least a comfy chair, in there fo ryou to sit on.  and instead of taking her to bed with you--don't do it becuase once you start it's hard to break tha habit--have her be in her own bed and you can sit and talk to her, cuddle her if she gets scared in your lap but put her back to bed before she goes to sleep.  sing to her if it comforts her, or just simplyt ell her what all the new noises in this house are.  such as "oh taht's just the house turning on the heat to keep us warm."  or "oht hat's just daddy going to get a drink of water. it's okay."  jsut reassure her.  eventually she'll fall aasleep and once she's used to teh new house and you get routine reestablished, it shouldn't be such a struggle.

take care and goodl uck

Dawn T

AHamrick
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 11:12 PM

My dd was about 17 months old when we moved to our new house, and she did the same thing for about a week. Her daddy even had to sleep in the room with her a few nights. (He slept in the floor by her crib) Finally we had to just put her in her bed and let her cry for a few mins. If she didn't stop within like 5 mins we'd go back in and comfort her then leave again. It took a few nights of that before she would go to sleep willingly in her own room.

April ~ Proud Christian Mommy to August Skyla, Loving Wife to Curtis! Anxiouslyttc  #2

jordynsmom08
by Member on Oct. 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM

i have the same problem! My DD is having a hard time sleeping in her room since we moved into our house ( we were in a 2 bedroom apartment, with her room right across from ours)  now we put her in her bed and she just cries and when she wakes up in the night and i comfort her and TRY to put her back in her bed she freaks. no idea what to do she sleeps SO good when she sleeps with me. Not in her room though. BUMP.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

kimikylemama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2009 at 12:14 AM

My son was the same way, but after we took him out of the toddler bed and put him in a twin bed, his little sister also got a full bed right before him.  We were going to get them both twin beds but a relative passed away and gave us a complete bedroom set, it is 100% girly.  So, finally a month or so ago I made my daughter's room the bedroom and my son's room the playroom.  So, both their beds are smushed together against the wall, so my daughter doesn't fall out.  There's also a bedrail.  They love it.  Ever since I moved him in the room with baby sister he has slept like an angel every single night.

kimi kyle cs siggy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)