Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am getting frustrated...Any advice?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM
  • 10 Replies

My 16 month old still isn't walking by herself! She will walk when she has her little push toy thing and walk like a pro when we hold her by the hand, but she will not walk by herself. The doctor told last month that if she isn't walking by herself this month we are going to have to call a physical therapist! I honestly think she is just a cautious baby. She was a late crawler and they never said anything to me about that but now all of sudden I have this one month deadline that I think is ridiculous. Mia is a great baby that will cruise all over the place, she pulls herself up, she talks up a storm and is smart (just my bias opinion :)) but I just can't get her to stand by herself and then walk. Any advice? And what should I do about the physical therapist? Mia's Parents as Teacher lady doesn't believe that Mia needs a PT and is doing great...Just cautious. Any advice on what to do or words of encouragement?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM

My son didn't walk until he was 17 months. He is also very cautious, he took a step when he was 15 months and had a bad fall, and I think it scared him from walking. The same thing happened when he was 16 months. I would definitely keep an eye on it but it probably is just her personality

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM

My friend's daughter didn't walk until she was 18 mths and she never went for physical therapy.. Maybe your doctor is just being extra cautious...I'm sure your princess is just fine!! Just taking things at her own pace.. Good luck mama!!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM

At my dd's 12 month appointment my doctor told me if she wasn't walking without fingers by 14 months that she would have to see a PT too. I got really motivated after that and did 2 things. First, when she walked with my fingers I would move realllyyy slooowwww, so that she got frusterated by how slow I was going and didn't want my help and second, I started letting go of one finger, so she only had one to hang on to.  both of those things helped, but I think its really on when your child is ready. I also used LOTS of positive reinforcement. Everytime she even took one step I cheered and clapped and told her good job. About a month later she was walking like a pro and doesn't crawl anymore. I hope that this helps!!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:18 AM

my dd was the same 16 months when she started walkin and she is 2 1/2 now and is fine

by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Is your DD holding on to your hand for support or security? That is really the main question. My 13mo old is the same way, she is a very cautious baby. My MIL was watching her (until today she just started a new daycare) and MIL wasnt very careful with her. She was letting her fall off couches and beds and into walls, etc. She never even tried to prevent them if it could be helped. So now DD is extremely cautious. She's been able to walk for about 2 1/2 months now, but she won't she absolutely refuses unless she's holding my hand, but she doesnt use it for stability or support, just so she feels safe. Sometimes her grasp is so light I can barely even feel it. If your doctor feels its necessary to go to a PT, but you dont, you can always call into the PT they recommend and tell them about your daughter, bc chances are they wont feel its necessary either. some doctors are just overly cautious

by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 10:06 AM

My first daughter was 15 1/2 months before she walked. Once she started walking, I suspected she was flat-footed like me. I took her to a dr to confirm my suspicions, which he did. My ins doesn't cover treatment so she's learned to adapt with it. Being flat-footed she does have balance issues so I think that delayed her walking.

DD#2 just turned 1 Oct 1st. She stands and cruises the furniture just fine. I'm waiting to see if she is going to be flat-footed also.

All babies develop at their own pace. Try to not stress over it. She will learn to walk.

in lovebreastfeedinggirl on a swing

Kim & Alan              Mia                     Lyndall

8/2/03                10/1/2008             3/20/05

by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 11:40 AM

I got my 10mon old nephew to walk on his own! He was just cautious but so ready for it! Of course his dr. thinks that is way to early but he was already trying on his own I just gave him a lil push! Try puting a stuffed animal in her hands and letting her walk on her own! Or instead of holding on to her fingers hold on to her under the arms! That way when she starts to cruise you can let go! Of course at first she might drop herself onto her bottom! But eventually she will learn that she won't hurt herself! It sounds like she just likes having the comfort of something holding her there! That's how my nephew was! And from my experience of having tons of lil cousins that I was around, I thought that it was normal for a baby to start walking between the ages of 12-19mon! I'm not sure but I do know I just read this one post where a dr. wanted a 9mon old to go to speech therapy! Just kinda crazy to me!

by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 12:03 PM

First of all just try to relax!  I am sure the doctor is just being cautious although going to PT won't hurt her.  They will just check her skills out and see if there is anything that therapy can help her with and get her walking on her own.  Don't push her to walk by herself by that "deadline" just try to make it fun and exciting for her to try it and if she doesn't then try the really will be okay!

by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Thank you to everybody that responded! I really appreciate your support and input. I think Mia is just extra cautious and probably doesn't have the balance that she needs. On that note, the baby sitter told me yesterday that Mia took 3 steps by herself and didn't even realize she did it. So that tells me (and I may be wrong) that she is holding on to my finger - I switched to my pinkie finger - for support but probably doesn't need too much of it. I just think she is cautious. I hope she starts walking up a storm here soon. I guess if she doesn't I will contact the PT but according to my Parents as Teachers lady they won't be able to do much since she is cruising around furniture and what not. It never hurts to get a second opinion though. I will try one posters idea of putting a stuffed animal in her hands or something like that. I welcome any more tips or advice. Thank you again!

by on Oct. 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Sounds to me like she is doing great... just cautious.

You said that she did take a couple of steps on her own recently which just confirms this for me.

I would say you can try a distraction so she doesn't realize that she isn't hanging on to anything if you want.  Use markers in your hands, having her hang on to the markers as she walks, then try letting go, and see if she will walk with just the markers in her hands without you holding on to them...  Try distracting her with a favorite toy, or a treat so she has to let go and take a couple of steps to get to it.  These are not necessary, but things that you can try if you want to.  :)

Proud wife, and mama of 2 boys.

in love  kitetoddler boy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)