Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Won't play by herself...i could use some advice

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM
  • 1 Replies

My daughter is 2 1/2.  And I love that i get to stay at home with her.  I wouldnt want to be anywhere else.  But the problem is she ALWAYS has to have me playing with her.  From the moment she gets up til the moment she goes to bed i have to be playing with her...whatever it is that she wants to do.  I think the reason i have always done this is because her daddy has been deployed alot and i'm tryin to make up for it and be both parents. And its getting exhausting. I dont mind playing wiith her most of the time but there are days where mommy just needs minute or i need to get something done.  If i tell her to play by herself she just sits down.  She acts like she doesnt know what to do.  She wont even color or draw a picture by herself...or play playdoh by herself and those are her favorite things to do.   My husband says its because i'm always playing with her and she never learned how to play by herself.  But when i take her to her play group and she gets tired of playing with other kids she gets a toy and plays by herself.  So, I guess my question is.. .WHAT CAN I DO?? I do feel like its my fault..i never did make her play by herself and now i'm expecting her to just do it...So how can i teach her to play alone?  I feel like shes getting to the age where she needs to learn to play on her own and not be soo dependant on me 24/7.  Any tips or advice would be great!!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
AngieBaby505
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I wish that I could help you.. I've never had that problem with my daughter..She's always been very independent and played well by herself and with other children. Maybe the reason she doesn't play by herself is b/c she knows that if she doesn't you'll come back and play with her.. I'm sure if she gets bored enough she start playing by herself so you might just have to give her some time.. Like if you walk away and you see she stopped playing just let her be for a few and maybe she'll start playing on her own.. Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)