Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fever and my 5 month old (PIOG)

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:44 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son is 5 1/2 months old and I think he's teething. He's had a low grade fever (99.9 and below) for about a month now. He'll go several days without a fever and then have one for a day or two in a row. It usually only takes one dose of baby tylenol and the fever doesn't return. I called his ped. office today and the receptionist tried to make me bring him in just in case, but she also said that they had been seeing lots of kids with the swine flu. I don't want to take Brandon in if there's a huge chance of his fever just being from teething and risk him getting some kind of flu. What do you ladies think? Is this a sign of teething?

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I definatly WOULD NOT risk son when teething would always get a fever sometimes around 101 but it would always go away and come back as the teething got better and worse. He also would sometimes get a runny nose and diarrea for a couple days. I wouldnt worry if it doesnt get over 102 even then i would wait and if it doesnt go away with tylenol then id take him in

Good luck!!!  I'm scared as heck of my son getting swine flu so i  wouldnt even come close to risking it!!!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I say it is teething...I would not risk taking him in with the sick kids...

by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 12:13 AM

I don't know that the doctors even consider that a true fever.  I would just keep an eye on him and call if you are worried.  Caroline has run a low grade fever several times and it was usually nothing.  The only time we took her in was when it got to 101.3 - but she was only 8 weeks old.  Now that she's 10 months old, they don't worry unless it over 102 or 103 (can't remember exactly).  We usually call before taking her in.  If Tylenol is working, stick with that.  I could just be teething.

If you do take him in, try to get a first thing in the morning appointment so there's less chance of exposure.

I hope it's nothing!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent.

by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Thanks for all the help.

by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 10:47 PM

if the fever is only 99, you don't relaly ahve to give him any tylenol hon.  sometimes, at this age, it's best to let itself burn itself out, but if he's crying alot and acting like he really needs it, then I would give it to him.  if he's teething, he'll have swollen and hard gums--if he won't let you look, try sweeping a clean finger through his mouth tos ee if you feel any bumps or little edges--if the tooth is cutting through the gum you may feel an edge. 

keep in mind, this too will pass.  he's probably working on cutting a tooth and I wouldn't risk exposing him to swine flu unless he's really sick himself--ie vomiting, diarhea, high fever, high pitched crying for several hours, bad congestion to the point where he won't eat.  if he's not doing that, don't take him in.  maybe talk  to the doctor themselves if you have a question--ask for the doctors to call you back and tell the receptionist that you just want ot  consult the pediatrician by phone because you have a question and that you'll leave it upt ot he dodctor to decide if you really need to bring your son in.;)

Take care and hope he feels better soon:)

Dawn T

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)