Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Sippy Cup Troubles

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok here's my problem.  My son is 15 months old and we had been buying the sippy cups with the soft nipples.  The problem is that we have 2 cats and they kept eating the nipples.  In the last 2 days we have bought 6 sippy cups and they've eaten them all, with the last one being eaten this morning. 

So my husband went out and bought 2 new sippy cups that were hard plastic nipples.  They are the insulated ones as well.  The problem is that my son couldn't get the milk out.  So I went out and bought anoter set that was also the hard nipple type.  He's still having trouble getting the milk out.

I want to help him but I don't know how.  He's not getting the milk out and it's frustrating watching him try and try and still get nothing.  Do you ladies have any suggestions on how I can help him?

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terribeari
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Do they have the rubber piece to stop from leaking, you could take it out for awhile while he gets used to the different spout

ballewal
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Try a straw cup instead. And put the cups where your cats can't reach when they are not in use. 

I'm not going to summarize myself in a paragraph because I'm not the kind of mother you expect me to be. 

TMorgan09
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I had thought about taking out the rubber piece but I was concerned about it going all over the place.  He likes to tip the cup upside down and play in the mess. But I'll have to try it. We have on of the ones with the straw and he's not too fond of it.

STVUstudent
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 2:07 PM

The cups with the soft spouts are really designed for much younger babies.  He will get used to the firmer spout.  You should not be using any cup, at this point, rated for less than 12 months unless your kid is developmentally delayed.  Meanwhile, as another poster said, you NEED to keep this stuff out of the reach of your cat. 

TMorgan09
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Part of the problem was that the cats got super sneaky and ended up getting them from places I didn't think they could get to.

Thank you for all the help.

mdhogg25
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Yeah I have a solution... Put the cups up where the cats can't get to them!!!!!lol

CafeMom Tickers
mom2BOYZnDad
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I always bought the sippys from walmart, the cheap ones, cause my boys would tend to lose them.  Anyway, they have a real easy pull out valve(hard plastic) inside so your little one can drink without it in there, but with those cups the valve actually does let the liquid flow easier than other cups.  It might even be a reversible valve to control the flow of the liquid.  Not sure.  Anyway, those are pretty good ones and not much $$ so you could try em if you want and and not be out a huge chunck of change if they don't work.

Cafe Elizabeth
by on Oct. 28, 2009 at 11:09 PM

When we had a cat she would turn up in the strangest places! I empathize with how difficult it can be to keep cats away from anything.

-- Elizabeth

Butterflysky_24
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM

i buy the nuby sippy cups, they have a  hard plastic lid so cats could not get to it. just stick the cups in a cabinet or drawer to keep the cats from it. my cat will chew up anythign i leave in the dishdrainer so i put everything away

Insomnia232
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I buy the hard plastic nipple sippy cups as well. I always take out the part that stops it from leaking. my son used to try to tip them over as well. I make him take a drink and put it back down on the coffee table. In other words I dont let him walk around with it. It takes time but Its not hard to teach.

Proud step-mommy to Makayla

Proud mommy to Duncan

Happily married to the love of my life <3

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN