Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you tried "The No Cry Sleep Solution" ??

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:32 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a 2 year old who still has some sleeping issues.. Basically she wakes at least 1-2 times a night.. There are some nights where she sleeps throughout the entire night but those don't happen too often..

I read about this book in another post and I was wondering if anyone has read this book and applied the methods.. Please let me know if it worked for you... I'm expecting baby# 2 soon and I can't imagine waking up for both of children every night.. I'm desperate and tired =/

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countme11
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I have no idea about the book , but would love to learn. I am in the same situation with my kids only I have the baby. Over a 5 day period I got only 13 hours of sleep this week. I am so tired. If it was not one kid, it was the other!!!! If I could only get the baby to sleep better! He has teeth and growing pains right now I think.. or he just forgot how to sleep!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker, Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Lcherniske
by Member on Nov. 26, 2009 at 11:36 PM

I got the no cry sleep solution and tried it for nearly a year with mixed results.  The thing is that there is several different solutions to try and not all work for every child.  There is a no cry sleep solution for toddlers also.  Anyway, my son will be 20 months tommorrow and I have finally got him sleeping-well at least until 5 am, we are still working on the early morning wakening.  What we finally did was have dad take over for me at night and he eventually stopped waking.  At first he was pretty mad about it but I didn't let him see me.  We tried this same method when he was about 15 months old and after 3 hours he was still wide awake so I guess they have to be ready.  My son co-slept with me full time from about 6-9 months then I slowly worked on putting him in his own bed.  He also still nurses so I had dad offer him a bottle since I wasn't sure if he was hungry.  The first night he drank 4 oz and after that he refused any.  Anyway I would suggest checking it out but realize if one strategy doesn't work after a few weeks move to the next.  Also, my son started off waking 8x a night and I was excited for a 4 hour stretch of sleep. By the time dad helped out he was waking 2-4 x a night.  He now goes to sleep on his own also after I tuck him in.  At first I sat by his crib, then I sat in rocking chair in room, and eventually I just left and If he cried sent dad in to comfort.  I hope this helps and sorry I took so long to respond.

Lcherniske
oxley12
by on Nov. 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM

I bought The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers when my daughter turned 2 (* shes 2 and 1/2 now*)  My daughter had been sleeping in the same bed with me since she was about 3 months old because my husband was deployed so it didnt bother me.  But I finally decided it was time for her to be sleeping in her own bed.  I read the book from start to finish.  I didnt even skip the sections that didnt apply to my daughter.  I made notes and highlighted things.  I followed the things I had learned in the book to the T!! And on the third night my daughter was sleeping in her bed by herself all nite.  We still have nights that she wakes up and needs mommy...and we still have some problems with getting her to go to bed on time on some times.  But i would say 95% of the time she does great.  I loved that book so much and it was soo helpful to us we bought The No Cry Potty Training solution (* and it really helped for us too*) I would def reccommend reading the book and giving it a try.  It is worth a shot.  But just remember that every child is different.  So you may have to modify some of the suggestions to fit your child and things like that. 
Good luck

VonsTwins
by on Nov. 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM

my twins arenot sleeping all night and recently my daughter has been waking up complaining of leg cramps..growing pains dr said, but if any one has tried this method and it works please let me know

Yvonneyou rock

sandraberke
by on Nov. 30, 2009 at 11:26 AM

no i have not read the book, however. . my sons who is 13 months old still gets up atleast once or twice a night and  wants a cup or whatever ( we are trying to get him to stop going to sleep with a cup bad for his bucky beaver teeth) herres what i do. . .

when i lay him down at night around 7 i put on a movie and give him one cup with watered down drink. . i put a sleeep timere one and close the door. and when the movie goes off its off. wither eor not hes awake or not.altho 9 out of ten times he is sleeping. and when he wakes up in the middle of the night i do let him whine it out. not cry but whine. if hes like bawling bloody murder ill get up but untill then no.

its not going to be easy but you need to get this under controll now or you are not going to get any sleep! 

CafeMom Tickerspregnany_with9.gif picture by sandraberkejune.gifpregnant6.gif picture by sandraberke** im Predicting a GIRL**Will be confirmed in january**

Ape726
by on Nov. 30, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I am not sure what the no cry book is about, but I made the mistake of allowing my first son to sleep in my bed until he was nearly two and getting him to sleep alone after that was very difficult. Eventually after months of easing the transition, I just put him in there and waited 5 minutes, went in loved on him and left. ten minutes and 15 minutes the same thing, this went on for about 2 hours, for about a week , getting a little shorter every night- after that, no issues. Then Daisy came along, and she was abruptly put in her own bed at 4 months, lol she cried about 10 minutes for the first night, maybe 2-3 minutes the second- then nothing... Liam is 6 months now and I think he was in his own bed the night we came home or the night after... no crying, no rocking, no issues. He does get up to eat of course, but I look forward to those- probably cos I'm not up all the time, and when Im resting, Im actually resting in bed. 

Having experienced both way- I would say the sooner you can get them to sleep alone, the better. and also when you go in there to comfort your toddler who has woken up- reassure and LEAVE... no snuggling or reading, rocking ... NO NO NO. a few times i would pick my daughter up and fluff her pillow, then right back out. The more you entertain them, the needier they get.

Its better for you both to get a full nights rest.

I was reading over what I wrote and I sound like such a bad momma, lol

2Angelsofar
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I'm not sure about the book.  But one book my friends swear by, I heard about it after my guy already slept through the night, is Babywise, so you might look into that.  Also, I love going to the library and checking the books out before I buy, it has saved me some dough on books I thought would be great, but turned out duds.

LaughterHugs
by on Feb. 3, 2010 at 10:21 PM

i totally agree and also highly recommend the no cry sleep solution for babies and the other book for toddlers :D another excellent book is the sleepy baby book by dr sears.

i don't agree with the cry-it-out/whine-it-out/ferber-method-5/10/15 minutes of pat-and-leave

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/handout2.asp

Research has shown that infants who are routinely separated from parents in a stressful way have abnormally high levels of the stress hormone cortisol, as well as lower growth hormone levels. These imbalances inhibit the development of nerve tissue in the brain, suppress growth, and depress the immune system. 5, 9, 11, 16

Researchers at Yale University and Harvard Medical School found that intense stress early in life can alter the brain’s neurotransmitter systems and cause structural and functional changes in regions of the brain similar to those seen in adults with depression. 17

Quoting oxley12:

I bought The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers when my daughter turned 2 (* shes 2 and 1/2 now*)  My daughter had been sleeping in the same bed with me since she was about 3 months old because my husband was deployed so it didnt bother me.  But I finally decided it was time for her to be sleeping in her own bed.  I read the book from start to finish.  I didnt even skip the sections that didnt apply to my daughter.  I made notes and highlighted things.  I followed the things I had learned in the book to the T!! And on the third night my daughter was sleeping in her bed by herself all nite.  We still have nights that she wakes up and needs mommy...and we still have some problems with getting her to go to bed on time on some times.  But i would say 95% of the time she does great.  I loved that book so much and it was soo helpful to us we bought The No Cry Potty Training solution (* and it really helped for us too*) I would def reccommend reading the book and giving it a try.  It is worth a shot.  But just remember that every child is different.  So you may have to modify some of the suggestions to fit your child and things like that. 
Good luck

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and (usually linked) the information I use to make my choices for my family. Take what works for you and leave the rest. I am not accusing anyone of anything nor am I comparing myself to you. Every family is different, so please don't assume I'm attacking you because my choices are not the same as yours.

signaturemama
by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 12:03 AM

I tried the book and had mild success.  Until my DD was 2.5, she did not sleept through the night.  On a whim, I took her off of gluten, dairy, and soy, and she has slept through the night and has been for a year now.  No family history of major food allergies.  I just followed a mama instinct, and now we are all sleeping better.  Maybe a diet change would be worth trying???

I'll be praying that you get some great sleep soon!

BraylonsMom22
by on Feb. 4, 2010 at 12:14 AM

My son started sleeping through the night at 3 n a half months old. He's 4 and a half months old now and i put a lot of cereal in his bottle before he goes to bed and he has slept as much as 12 hours straight. he always sleeps at least 8 hrs or close to it.  I suggest to just fill them up before they go to bed but not necessarily with cereal. i've also skipped the cereal before and he still sleeps through the night so its not always the cereal that does the trick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)