Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

slow cooker/crock pot?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:30 PM
  • 12 Replies

I've been thinking about getting a slow cooker for about a month now. Since I've never used one for cooking, I'm a bit nervous about it. But, I keep hearing great things about how easy and economical it is to use.

Who's using a slow cooker and what are you cooking in it? Is there a brand you recommend?

Thanks! -- Elizabeth

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I cook gourmet all the time, and still I use my crock pot ALL the time.  You will fall in love with it.  Buy the biggest you can find because you will never need a smaller one, only a bigger one.  I always go with a bigger name brand when it doesn't matter and it doesnt matter at all this time- they are ALL GOOD.  I just shy always away from the very cheapest of the cheap.  I cant even believe you don't have one yet!  If it was me, just wait until the next one goes on sale!

Good luck

by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I use mine about once a week;  it's an old one (I think it was my MILs) so I can't recommend a brand.  I cook pork chops and chicken in it mostly but have also done soups and hot drinks (for a party);  I find it very handy and versitile.  I have a ton of crockpot cookbooks so am always trying something new. 

by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Oh, I LOVE my crock pot....I have 3 of them....a 4 quart that I use for roasts, whole chickens, etc....3 quart which is good for soups/stews....and a 1 quart Little dipper that is good for sauces, dips, fondues, etc..... I'm hoping to get a 7 quart for Christmas for other recipes....

I use this website ALL the time

This woman that does the blog, used her crockpot for an entire year and came up with hundreds of great crock pot recipes. She eventually wrote a recipe book (that I'm definitely going to buy when the budget allows!). I've done about a dozen of the recipes so far and I love them all.

Anyway....once you start using it, the crockpot can be SO helpful that you want to use it all the time. The fact that you can prep the food in the morning and have a nice hot meal at dinnertime. Even as a stay at home mom, it makes life easier! =)

Wow, i sound like a commercial, I'm going to stop now. HTH!!!! =)

by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I love my CrockPot.  I cook everything in it.  Spaghetti, Pot Roast, Chili, Pork Chops, Chicken, Shredded Beef Tacos, Pulled Pork Sandwiches, stews, soups, you name it.  I really like my CrockPot, but it's the only one I've ever owned, so I can't really compair other brands. 

by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I am totally and utterly in love iwth mine I use it all the time. I throuw any and everything in there.I work full time and come home and am a mommy and wife and I don't like to eat out alot so this cooks my food all day and we have a warm meal.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I make all kinds of things in my crock pot: pasta sauce, lasagna, soups and stews, chili, even yogurt. The one I have is about 12 years old... not sure the brand or if they make it any more. There are lots of good slow cooker cookbooks and websites too. 

I'm not going to summarize myself in a paragraph because I'm not the kind of mother you expect me to be. 

by Member on Oct. 30, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I mostly make pot roast and ribs in mine.  I HIGHLY suggest making sure it is a big one with a pull out core so you can wash it easily. 

by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM

I love mine, can't remember the brand.  I put in a bunch of chicken (for example), some veg, beans and some stock and let it cook on low all day.  Then I have chicken for the week which I can use in different dinners and izzy LOVES chicken.  Get one!

by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 2:57 PM

i absolutely love doing roasts in my crock pot. i love how they get super tender and just fall apart on the fork. i take a pork roast or rump roast and put it in the crock pot with some chicken or beef broth, salt and pepper, and worcestershire sauce. some people put in onions with it but my hubby hates onions so i dont. anyways i start it in the morning by putting butter ina skillet and browning the outsides of the mea tjust to get some good carmelization and put all the pan drippings in with the brother and cook it all day on high. it makes a good pot roast if u add veggies, pork roast that can be served with gravy or veggies or both, use the rump roast as shredded beef in burritos or sandwiches, pot roast in open faced pot roast sandwiches. u can also cook a pork or rump roast in cream of mushroom soup all day. another thing i like to do is cook a pork roast all day and when its tender, drain the liquid, shred it with a fork, and add barbeque sauce for pulled pork sandwiches!

Cafe Elizabeth
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I'm sold! So many great ideas and endorsements, thank you all very much. I'll take a look around and see what I can find at the store.

-- Elizabeth

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)