Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

introducing food to their diet

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM
  • 3 Replies

im introducing carrots to their daily meal plan. So far they have only had rice cereal, right now im adding carrots to the rice cereal and giving it to them three times a day after their formula. At what point is the food supposed to take over the formula? Do I slowly start lessening the formula amount and increasing food? Or do I just let them eat both and food till they are full, not sure how the transition occours.

by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ballewal
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Before one year of age, eating solids is just basically "practice" because they don't digest everything. So at that age, formula or breastmilk should still be a huge part of their diets. 

I'm not going to summarize myself in a paragraph because I'm not the kind of mother you expect me to be. 

gacgbaker
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Quoting ballewal:

Before one year of age, eating solids is just basically "practice" because they don't digest everything. So at that age, formula or breastmilk should still be a huge part of their diets. 

This is how I look at it too.  Formula or breastmilk is the primary source of nutrition till 1 year.  Sounds like you are doing just fine intorducing things slowly. 

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Pregnancy, After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers, Unique Baby Names, Children's Health Issues

ballewal
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Although with my daughter, she wanted less formula once she could self-feed around 8 or 9 months. She would get 3 meals, a snack, and about 18 ounces of formula a day. 

I'm not going to summarize myself in a paragraph because I'm not the kind of mother you expect me to be. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)