Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How much whole milk?

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 12:34 PM
  • 8 Replies

How much whole milk should a toddler over a year old be getting a day?? My DD is 15 months old and still nurses around 3 times a day, but she does use a sippy alot of the time too!!! She seems to be thursty ALOT!! I am wondering if I am giving her to much milk?? I give her like 3, 6oz sippy cups of milk and then water or juice in between!! She eats great, and has PLENTY of wet diapers!! haha...Just need some advice!! Thanks!

breastfeedingbaby girlin lovettc~*~Holly~*~

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ballewal
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 12:36 PM

16-24 ounces of whole milk per day is what my ped said. No more than 4 ounces of juice. 

I'm not going to summarize myself in a paragraph because I'm not the kind of mother you expect me to be. 

Mom2Bria
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Thank you!! I do dilute her juice with water!!

Quoting ballewal:

16-24 ounces of whole milk per day is what my ped said. No more than 4 ounces of juice. 

newmom2be08
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 12:48 PM

This is what I found from the AAP about daily requirements of whole milk:

Toddlers aged 1 year through 2 years do not need as much milk/dairy as one would think. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that 16 ounces of whole milk per day is all your toddler will need. Calcium for Infants & Toddlers (AAP). Toddlers do not need “milk” per se rather, they need the calcium, protein and fat that milk and/or dairy products provide. A toddler should get approximately 800mg of calcium per day – one cup of milk is approximately 300mg of calcium. 

Always serve whole milk to your Toddler until you are otherwise advised to do so! 

The AAP continues to recommend offering your Toddler whole milk (not 2% or 1% or skim) until your Toddler reaches age 2 years old!   “Since babies need fat in their diets for development, they should drink whole milk until their second birthdays. Then, if growth is steady, you can switch to low-fat or nonfat milk”. Feeding your 1 yr. oldAs always, we recommend that you discuss the options thoroughly with your Toddler's pediatrician!

ballewal
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I do too. I make the frozen concentrate stuff and just double the water so I can fill up her 8 oz sippy cup. 

As long as your daughter is nursing a lot she should be fine. 

Quoting Mom2Bria:

I'm not going to summarize myself in a paragraph because I'm not the kind of mother you expect me to be. 

Mom2Bria
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 1:26 PM

She only nurses first thing in the AM and right befor bed for the night! Maybe once in the middle of the day if she asks for it!

Quoting ballewal:

I do too. I make the frozen concentrate stuff and just double the water so I can fill up her 8 oz sippy cup. 

As long as your daughter is nursing a lot she should be fine. 

Quoting Mom2Bria:

gacgbaker
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM

At my last check up with my kids they said 4 8 ounce glasses of milk a day... if your DD is eating well besides all the liquids I would say keep at it.  Water is best after she has her milk for the day, but sounds like you are doing a great job!  Keep it up!

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Unique Baby Names, Children's Health Issues
Join us in the Pregnancy Group or Babies Group
Amber, Pregnancy and Babies Group Mod

bonnielauper
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I am lucky if my 16-month old drinks 4 ounces of milk a day. He just doesn't like it that much, and we just weaned a couple of months ago. I try to supplement with cheese and yogurt so that he still gets the calcium he needs, but I can't believe your daughter will nurse AND drink 18 ounces of milk. Amazing!

Mom2Bria
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Yeah she has been really good about using her sippy cup! And I think she digs the taste of milk!!! I like milk...But Bria seems to LOVE IT!! haha!

Quoting bonnielauper:

I am lucky if my 16-month old drinks 4 ounces of milk a day. He just doesn't like it that much, and we just weaned a couple of months ago. I try to supplement with cheese and yogurt so that he still gets the calcium he needs, but I can't believe your daughter will nurse AND drink 18 ounces of milk. Amazing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN