Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How are you going to keep the little ones out of the tree?

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 11:23 PM
  • 11 Replies

This is our first Christmas with a toddler.  Caroline will be one the day after Thanksgiving and she's now walking and trying to climb.  I have visions of her trying to climb the Christmas tree!  Do you have any plans to keep the little ones out of the holiday decorations?

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CaliMama88
by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 11:25 PM

It may sound mean...but Aiden is afraid of this remote control car he has so I will just put that infront of the tree lol! Last year he was afraid of this handheld vacuum I had so he stayed away from it last year and it worked like a charm lol:)

momtorussell
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 8:54 AM

That's an excellent question!  We have an 18 month old and I am imagining a millon "NO RUSSELL" coming out of our mouths.  I could use some ideas.  Russell isn't scared of anything, so placing something in front won't deter him. 

emmabeastsmom
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 9:12 AM

I don't think I am even going to put a tree up this year.  My daughter is 15 months and though she knows the word no, she doesn't usually listen.  I can just see her pulling the tree down on top of her or some other horrible thing happening, so I think I will wait until next year to put it up, and will probably have to get soft non-breakable ornaments to make sure she doesn't hurt herself.

nicci260
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 9:23 AM

This may sound funny but, I thinkI will be fencing the tree in. hahahaa.  We have that wrap around gate.

Mom2Bria
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Oh NO!! I NEVER even thought about that!! haha!! We are putting our tree in our sitting room, which has been taken over by her toys!! I guess there will be alot of "no no no Brianna" haha!

breastfeedingbaby girlin lovettc~*~Holly~*~

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

imasurvivor
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Fence the tree in or do what I did last year...

(click link or continue reading below) 

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1337727/Our_Christmas_Tree_Toddler_Kid_Baby_Friendly

This was a response that I posted to a DailyBuzz topic in Toddler Buzz: "Toddler-Proof Your Christmas Tree".

I decided to turn it into a journal post and add pics to share the idea with the rest of my mom friends out there in CafeMom land!

So here we go...

Our tree has been up since the week before Thanksgiving (see my journal post re: Our Thanksgiving Traditions to understand more) and we have had no problems BUT now that it's Christmas time... it's time for a change!

And so...because our 8ft tree sits in our living room, right smack in the middle of the same room where all of the play toys are, I decided this year "just because" to decorate it with nothing but TOYS!

Along with the white lights, garland, and a star...I used Colorful Ball Pit Balls, Farm Animals, Cars, Pacifiers, Assorted Teething Rings, Rattles etc. as the ornaments and a Tonka Car Rug for the tree skirt...and it's perfect!

The room is colorful & festive and the tree "matches" the existing "baby/toddler decor"! (See pics below)

I'm going now to add some rainbow candy canes that I picked up at the store yesterday...

xoxoxo's

The Tree...

Misc Ornaments...

lverdone
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM

We didn't put any ornaments low and our daughter didn't try to climb.  Do you have that movable gate?  Maybe you could put that in front of the tree? 

Georgie0502
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 10:14 AM

We don't have a full size tree (we wouldnt even have room for it, our apartment is too tiny). our tree is about 3 foot tall. we will put it on top of a table thats out of her reach in the living room. the table that we are going to use though, is where we keep the hamster, so he will have to find a new "room" until after the holiday season

nily
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Yep we are doing the fence too I already got it.

mommy_mpoon
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 3:25 PM

We always used gates to make a fence around the entire tree. Although, Ellen 3yr has never been much trouble about going to the tree...this year we have Viktor and he enjoys getting into EVERYTHING...so I believe our gate will be put to good use this year!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN