Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Todlers throwing tantrums

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son who is 16 months is now throwing really bad tantrums. He kicks, bites, pushes, and screams. I took him to Walmart yesterday and he threw such a fit that everyone was staring at me. I felt so embarrased. It seems that most of his anger is directed towards me and sometimes I feel like he hates me (I know he really doesn't, it just feels that way sometimes). I am wondering if anyone else is going through this now too. I am hoping that I am not alone in this =[

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heidi_val
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:05 PM

The one time my son threw a tantrum, I ignored him and he hasn't had one since. It's hard in the store, but it happens to everyone.  

Karleen123
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Trust me you aren't alone all kids go through a tantrum stage. All kids are different so different things work better for different kids. Time out works really good with my son he will stand in the corner and glare but it calms him down really well I've even found corners in wallmart:P

And it is really embarassing when kids throw fits in public you just have to realize that almost every one there has been through it at some point most people totally understand what you're going through for for the nasty old laides(they seem to be the worst) who give you mean looks do your best to ignore them and concentrate on your son and taking care of the probably every one around you just has to get it over

Jessy613
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:07 PM

My son is the same way. i spoke with my pediatrician about it, and he told me to simply ignore it, and walk away. Continue on doing your buisiness and eventaully he will learn he can't get your attention this way. Good luck. I know it's hard!

AngelicaRenee
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:08 PM

My son started that around 14 months. I would ignore him when we were at home and after 18 months the tantrums became more rare. He is 25 months now, he still has them sometimes but he's pretty good.

MaddysMomma2008
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:38 PM

My daughter is about to be 3 and she still throws her fits, she will throw herself on the ground and kick and scream or go screaming to her room and slam the door. I have tried taking toys away and time out and even just ignoring her, nothing has worked so if someone has some insight i need it too.

CafeMom Tickers
expectantmom81
by Erin on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Yeah, I had an elderly man come up to him and ask him what was wrong. Then he says "I have a grand daughter your age, but she doesn't scream like you". I just kinda fake chuckled and looked away. I really didn't know how to take that. Ugh!! Also, I have tried ignoring him but it doesn't seem to be working. I will have to keep trying I guess.

Quoting Karleen123:

Trust me you aren't alone all kids go through a tantrum stage. All kids are different so different things work better for different kids. Time out works really good with my son he will stand in the corner and glare but it calms him down really well I've even found corners in wallmart:P

And it is really embarassing when kids throw fits in public you just have to realize that almost every one there has been through it at some point most people totally understand what you're going through for for the nasty old laides(they seem to be the worst) who give you mean looks do your best to ignore them and concentrate on your son and taking care of the probably every one around you just has to get it over

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2.

Jemia
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM

My son will be 3 in Feb. and he does that all the time in public, most of the time my husband handles but I feel so embarrassed when he does it. Hope they get over this stage soon.

CafeMom Tickers
newmom2be08
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Our son hasn't thrown a tantrum in public yet, but he gets extremely loud in his own house...screaming when he doesn't get his way, biting, pinching, etc.  We try to just ignore his behavior, but if he gets really out of control, I will get very close to his face and give him a stern "NO!".  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  You are not alone, mama! 

emmabeastsmom
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:33 AM

My daughter turned 16 months today and she is doing the same thing.  I try to completely ignore them as much as I can hoping she realizes she gets no attention and will eventually stop. 

Georgie0502
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM

I dont ignore Kendall's tantrums, but I dont encourage them either, i try to pay attention to what brings them on. usually she'll start to hyperventilate about something seemingly unimportant and i know its coming, so i distract her or help her, depending on what's causing it. we've never had a full blown tantrum since we figured this out. but we dont have to worry about it in public luckily. she LOVES to go out. Seeing strangers is one of her favorite "activites" I think its probably because she gets such a reaction from them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)