Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! my 13 month old doesn't like daycare!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

I started school this august after being a SAHM for several years. That's all my 13 month knew. He went to my mom 2 days a week and to a friend the other 2. He seemed to do fine and we never had any problems with him not wanting to go or anything (of course he loves to go to grandma's). About 3 weeks ago we switched him to daycare the 2 days that our friend watched him. We didn't like how much driving she was doing with him and also wanted him to learn how to be around other kids and interact and all that. The 1st day was fine. I think he was so excited about all the new toys that he didn't have time to notice. It's progressively getting worse though. Now he cries and screams and won't let go. You have to pry him off to get him to go. Then he's crying and reaching out while you're trying to walk away! Then when I come pick him up he immedietly comes running. I don't know if I should just keep going and hope it will get better or take him back to our friend. I can't stand to go through that each morning even if he gets better throughout the day. He never had any problems going to our friend and always seemed happy. Any ideas on what I should do?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
expectantmom81
by Erin on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:30 PM

It is probably just because it is a new place and new people. I also think it is a phase. My DS does not go to daycare but every wednesday night my aunt watches him and he always cries when I leave but she says once I leave he is fine and I know she isn't lying cause at first he didn't get better and she would tell me plus when I go in to pick him up, he is off playing and having fun. Now, he doesn't want to leave lol. I know it will get better. I would just try to stick with it if you can. Good luck mama.

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2.

luvbeingmama
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:33 PM

it should get better but that would kill me too.  Is there anyway you can ask your friend not to drive with him?  Tell her its not taht you think shes a bad driver or anything but you dont know what other people on the road are doing and you dont want to worry the entire time you are away that something might happen.

Georgie0502
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Ask the daycare how he does while he's there, after you leave. He could be going through a separation anxiety phase. My DD is currently. She is the same way, she screams when she gets dropped off and screams in happiness when she gets picked up. But, I know that she loves being there. She has a lot of fun with the other kiddos her age. I've watched her when she doesn't realize I'm around, and she's fine.

tr83angel
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:43 AM

When I started my girls at their daycare it was the same situation. They we 14 months before they started going and the first few days they would cry when I left and once in  awhile they still do but talk to the daycare. If he fussy all day or is it just when you leave and pick him up. Try to get there early with him and spend 10 mins with him to get him aquanted. It does get better. GL!

bigheart18
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:28 AM

We had the same problem.  I have 3 kids who just started daycare in August of this year.  Ages 9 months, 2 & 3.  NONE of them had EVER been to daycare b/c I was a SAHM for from 2006 until Feb 2008.  I started work, but my hubby was out of work at the time and then started working nights, so he’d have days and I’d have nights.  When they all started in August, the 2 and 3 yr old would scream bloody murder EVERY DAY and come running when we’d come get them.  The teachers were all really nice and told us it was natural, and they have cameras where I could watch, so I knew they weren’t being mistreated.  Well, about a month or so into it, they are well-adjusted w/the occasional minor incident.  The baby still cries, but he is a baby.  The older two are eager to go most days and are learning to socialize and play, so I’d say, if he is not being mistreated or anything, give it a little longer.  Hope this helps!

CHECK OUT A GREAT WAY TO EARN FREE REWARDS (AMAZON GIFT CARDS, ETC.) JUST BY SEARCHING THE NET! THIS REALLY DOES WORK!

http://swagbucks.com/refer/Bigheart18

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)