Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby throwing food

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi all,

My daughter has always been a very good eater but lately she's taking almost every piece of food and throwing it on the floor.  Usually that was a signal that she was done eating but now she's eating one or two bites and throwing the rest down.  She's drinking all her milk but I don't want her not to eat enough.  Anyone have any ideas?  I know they love throwing things to the floor and getting them picked up, cause and effect and all but..I want her to eat something too!  Thanks for any tips ladies.

by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
angelicangel09
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:39 PM

My DD is the same way. Once she starts doing that we take her away from it. Your dd will eat when shes ready. But dont let her fill up on milk. my DDs doctor told us to only give 3 cups of milk a day because otherwise she will get full on it.

NSeni
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:46 PM

i would smack her on the hand an tell her NO 

ballewal
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:49 PM

My daughter does that when she doesn't want what I'm feeding her. So I take it away and try something else. 

CafeMom Tickers
Georgie0502
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:16 AM

its generally a phase. but for some babies it could mean more (like, they dont like the food). But usually it comes with learning to be more independant. We would ignore the behavior with DD and after a little while, she outgrew it and is a fantastic eater again. Sometimes she still does it when she gets frustrated (i.e. if she cant get her food to stay on the spoon, etc)

ohmommamia
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I would ssy don't give her the milk.  Sounds like she is getting full on it and not wanting to eat.  Milk is very filling.  I would set the milk aside and when you see her eat a few bites, then offer her a drink and take it from her when you think she has had a good drink. I really think this will work.   That is what I did with my two older kids. I just wish my baby would drink milk.

STVUstudent
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Once kids reach a certain point in their development, they discover throwing food, or just dropping food... it's cause and effect, plus, a pretty fun game (for them).  Also, once they reach a certain point, they need much less food, and eating is more social than anything else. What we did was sit with them, eating, while they eat.  Also, they got only water with meals, and then, just a little at a time.  milk was for snack time- they got plenty that way, but they were still eating food at mealtime.

Try, when your daughter throws her food, pick it up once, telling her that it's not nice to throw food.  If she does it again, tell her she can't have it anymore, and put it away.  If she indicates she is still hungry, you can offer it again in a few minutes.  If she throws it again, is it a new food, or one you are not sure she likes?  If so, maybe then I would offer something else, but not usually, unless I knew they did not know the food.  Get her up from the table and move her to a new area.

Mine would throw their food on the floor, and then get very distressed if the dogs ate it... go figure...

Another trick I use- I offer new foods FIRST, when they are hungriest.  This is also when I give them their vegetables.  The other stuff (*meat, starch) comes next.  Yogurt or fruit always comes last!

Does your baby sign?  Try teaching her the sign for eat... bring your fingertips to the mouth, like you are putting a piece of food in your mouth.  Once she learns this sign, she will quickly start telling you if she is hungry- time to eat!

bethgl
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 11:41 AM

All good ideas, thanks.  These are all foods she usually gobbles down, which makes me think she's playing a game.  But now I'm thinking she might be getting full on milk.  She loves it.  That's a good idea about giving her food first, then some milk or water.  She does know the sign for food and of course, as soon as we tell her no more food, after she's thrown food down several times, she makes the sign.  Oy!  They are smart, aren't they?

STVUstudent
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 7:05 AM

yes, they sure are... mine are 27 months, 27 months, and 18 months, and they play it for all it is worth...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)