Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Spoiled Baby?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 12:29 PM
  • 4 Replies

How young can a baby start to be spoiled?  What I mean is crying because they want picked up or want attention.  My son is 7 weeks old.  I'm going back to work in 2 weeks and I'm worried he may be a little spoiled.  I worry he will be very spoiled when he starts going to the Sitter.  I have read several different things....  some say they can get spoiled in the first few weeks and others say you should give them the attention once they start crying because they cannot get spoiled until after 6 mos...?  Any ideas?

by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ballewal
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 1:22 PM

You can't spoil a baby by holding it. 

kteach0817
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I worry about this too.  My little one is 10 weeks and when she cries I pick her up.  I have asked the dr several times and every time he has told me that you cannot spoil a baby or pick them up too much until they are 6 mo.  He said that in the first few months you need to build the relationship with them and they need to learn that they can trust you to help them when they need something/cry.  hopefuly your babysitter will understand that  :)

mommy_mpoon
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I really don't think you can spoil a baby. I tended to my kids each time they cried until they were 6 months and it didn't seem they were spoiled by it. Around 8 months was when my son started to whine to be carried, but if I'm doing something and can't carry him, I would at least check his diaper quickly (change if needed), make sure he's not hungry/thristy, then give him a few toys to play with near where I am. After a few days of doing that, he sort of learned that when I'm in the kitchen or bathroom I can't carry him...not he's almost 13months and he rarely whines just to be carried. As for my older daughter, she's 3yr and already understands when I tell her I can't play while I'm cooking, cleaning, etc.

Also, our Ped said it's better to tend to them as much as needed/possible from newborn, it helps to build their sense of security and will help them become more independent with age.

Georgie0502
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 8:55 AM

The reason they can't be spoiled at that young of an age is because if they are crying to be held, its because they actually need it. They lived with you 24/7 for nine months, some need to feel that close to you more than others. Its not until the concept of cause and effect and a better memory forms (6 months and up) that they can be spoiled.

he might have trouble with a sitter at first, but as he gets used to the sitter, he will grow attached to them too. if you are really worried about it, you can try to have someone come watch him while you are there a few times, but stay out of sight. take the opportunity to relax and get him adjusted to not having you available.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)