Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My 6-month old's short naps

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM
  • 2 Replies

My 6-month-old son is trying to take these itty bitty 20 minute naps instead of normal hour-long (or longer naps). My daughter (now 3) did the same thing when she was a baby. The difference is, if I let her cry for a few minutes, she'd almost always fall back to sleep. Eventually she stopped waking up after such a short time and started taking normal naps.

My son, however, will NOT go back to sleep. And I let him cry and he happens to fall back to sleep, he wakes up again in ANOTHER 20 minutes. However, if I put him in his swing, he'll nap for up to 2 hours! He's too big to be napping in the swing at 6 months, plus it's inconvenient because he can't sleep at a babysitter's (or Mimi's) house.

Did anyone else have this problem with their children? What should I do when he wakes up? He DEFINITELY needs more sleep. He is miserable if he doesn't get enough sleep. He doesn't take a pacifier. He's not hungry (I feed him before naps). There's nothing "wrong" with him. He just doesn't stay asleep! Help!

by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
gacgbaker
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Do you have him on a schedule of any kind or are the naps not scheduled?  I know for my kids it helped if I would keep them on a pretty strict schedule for a while with the naps.  Eventually they got used to it and would stay up when it wasn't nap time and were able to sleep better when it was. 

I know this can be frustrating!  My middle child was like that and it was hard with her, but we did make it through and you will too!

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Unique Baby Names, Children's Health Issues
Join us in the Pregnancy Group or Babies Group
Amber, Pregnancy and Babies Group Mod

amzbrznjz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2009 at 8:28 AM

my son stopped sleeping his regualar schedule at 6 months bc he was teething I tried to keep him on that schedule and after a few weeks it past and he went right back to the way he slept

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)