Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

To Breast feed or not to

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:49 PM
  • 10 Replies

I just want some advice on both bottle and breast feeding. I didnt breast feed with my son but, My daughter is coming early and only weighs about four pounds. I have chronic chest pain but, Im really thinking about breast feeding this time. I just want some thoughts on the situation. 

by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballewal
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:50 PM

At least give it a try. If it doesn't work out you can switch. But you can't switch the other way around. 

glenda09
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:52 PM

My son came early at 29 weeks and 2 lbs 15 oz. I couldnt nurse but I pumped for him and they tubed fed him trough his stomach when he was able to eat. It was the best thing I did. I think thats why he didnt get sick till he was 1 and got well quick. I would if you could. Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers
happymom1988
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 2:55 PM

give it a try , besides , if for some reason you dont like it /cant do it /have difficulties / then switch to formula .

but give it a try , cuz is the best  for your baby ! group hug

grace2joy
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I breast fed all my kids.  Some I switched to formula before others.  I did pump for my daughter who was born at 25 weeks, and I was glad I did (just like glenda09 said).  My daughter switched to nursing easily when she came home.  Most of my kids I breast fed until 10 months.  Give it a try.

SieversSeven
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I would say give it a try.  I have 5 munchkins.  I did breastfeed all of them as long as I could!  The bond you form from it is like nothing else, at least for me!  It was wonderful!  Also breast fed babies have a tendency to be a little more healthy than bottle fed babies!  I was only able to breastfeed my little ones for at the most 6 months!  I had to bottle feed after that!  But the shortest time was 8 weeks!  I just wasn't supplying enough of what she needed!  Then once we found the Right formula .. all was well with us again!

It takes time to get to know each of our little ones .. then they change on us!  lol  I hope you choice according to what YOU feel would be best for not just the baby but Yourself as well!  :0)

group hug      The Sievers Seven!

KaileezMom
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I would try it at least. I had many difficulties with my DD but she got breast milk for 1.5 months...I figured she at least got a good start. Wouldve done it longer if we didnt have so many probs with it. I plan on doing it with our second baby when he/she comes. Hopefully it may go more smoothly. At least, if you try you can know that you did all you could to give your sweet one the best start. Good luck mama!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
Armywife6
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:52 PM

It never hurts to try. I BF my son till he was 10 months with him the transition was super easy (he weaned himself) as soon as we introduced solids & sippys. He didn't get sick until he was over 1 & then it was a double ear infection that cleared up quickly. He's only (knock on wood) been sick 1 other time & he's 19 months that time it was a viral infection. Just FYI.

expecting baby toddler boy ~~~ The kind of woman who doesn't have to defend my views, & or parenting style~~

expectantmom81
by Erin on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I say if you are thinking about nursing then give it a try. You don't want to think later on that you wish you did. You can always switch if you need to. My son was a month early weighing 5.6 lbs so he had trouble latching on. They had a rubber piece (shield) that I put on my nipple to help him latch. I only needed to use it for about 2 weeks and then he was all set. GL and whatever you decide will be just fine.

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2.

amollenkopf
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 12:52 AM

I would definitely give it a try. The first two weeks is soo hard but after that it was smooth sailing for us. Around his growth spurts it seemed like I wasnt producing enough...just waited a few days and did a little extra pumping and we were set. My son just weaned himself and he is 14 months old. But, breast feeding doesnt always work for everyone. Good Luck!!

FateoftheGodz
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 2:24 AM

It's seriously VERY hard at first. Very painful. But once you get over it after a couple weeks, it's the best thing you can do to start your baby's life out.

I am so glad I breastfed. It cuts down on formula costs, and I didn't have to prepare the stuff or even leave my bed if I didn't want to. It comforted my son on a lot of occassions when nothing else would. He didn't get sick even a little bit until he was 10 months old. He was very plump too. :) I would definitely suggest at least sticking it out for a month, and if you can't do it, then it's fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN