Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Pay It Forward..

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 7:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

So, there's this thing going on in my town this week, no idea how it started, but things like this usually only take one person.

Pssh, it might be National Pay It Forward week for all I know.

Anyway, today I went to Starbucks and the person in front of me had paid for my drink!

I asked why and the girl at Starbucks said it'd been happening all week!

So guys, do something nice for someone this week, in hopes that they'll pay it forward!

If you get the chance to do something nice for a stranger, post here and let us hear all about it!

by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Elizabeth
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:07 PM

That is such a lovely idea! I'm going to give it a try tomorrow...

-- Elizabeth

expectantmom81
by Erin on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Well, I haven't done anything besides stopping to let a car go in busy traffic which I do frequently but yesterday I went to subway and an older gentleman in front of me walked over and handed me a coupon. It was something so simple but what a great gesture =] Usually if I see someone that seems to be short a little bit of money at the register somewhere I will cover it for them if I have it.  I had a friend that decided one time to go through one of the pay tolls and hand the girl a 20.00 and told her to let the next 19 cars through on him. It is nice when we actually see some good. It doesn't seem to happen enough lately.

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2.

Stormywaters03
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Those are great examples of PIF!  You're right, it doesn't happen enough, and even though I know we all try to do nice things for people, it's nice to consciously put in extra effort sometimes.  :)

Quoting expectantmom81:

Well, I haven't done anything besides stopping to let a car go in busy traffic which I do frequently but yesterday I went to subway and an older gentleman in front of me walked over and handed me a coupon. It was something so simple but what a great gesture =] Usually if I see someone that seems to be short a little bit of money at the register somewhere I will cover it for them if I have it.  I had a friend that decided one time to go through one of the pay tolls and hand the girl a 20.00 and told her to let the next 19 cars through on him. It is nice when we actually see some good. It doesn't seem to happen enough lately.

ErinHill226
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM

That's such a nice idea...now I must conjure up something cool to do...

h_anne88
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 10:44 PM

I totally agree that this is amazing. It reminds people to be good to others. This is something I feel should be a constant thing. Even the littlest things you do could change someones day, which could change a life. Something I try really hard to do is to be polite to people that work with phone customer service places, such as credit card companies or any of my bills. Those people constantly are bombarded with irrate people and Im sure it is rather refreshing for them to speak with someone nice. So when people change their mentality to a positive one, so much can change for the better. God bless you for posting this :)

asil
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 2:08 AM

well, i did this before i read this post... but last night i was picking up some stuff at walmart, and there was a single older man behind me.  i didn't realize until i had paid and was walking away that one of his cans of soup were on my bill.  i know... big deal... a whopping 0.79 or whatever... but since i noticed, i turned around, and gave the soup to him.  didn't complain about paying for it, just added it to his bag, let the cashier see that it was already paid for, and went on my way...

i was packing my things and the man came up to me in the parking lot (mind you, it is now around 1am, and not even a week ago a teenager was MURDERED in this very parking lot so it made me nervous to be approached by anyone!)... he tried to give me a dollar for the soup, i refused.  i turned and went to put my cart away, and returned to my van.  under the windsheild wiper was the most beautiful "dovotional" card i have ever seen.  now... i am not religious, but the card he left had to to with family travels... little did he know we are leaving on a one week road trip with my 1 and 2 year old girls.... and he was GONE!

strange how it all happened.

PROUD OWNER OF...
baby/toddler coupons and more!... Printable links, hints and tips, and much much more! http://www.cafemom.com/group/30682 

gmums... a group for moms who use gdiapers. A fun and healthy way to use flushable diapers! http://www.cafemom.com/group/2625

ddh developmental dysplasia of the hip... a group for moms who have a child who has or has had ddh. http://www.cafemom.com/group/33384

moms against cow's milk... a group for moms who choose, or have to remove cow's milk from their diet, or their child's.  benefits, alternatives, and comments!  http://www.cafemom.com/group/103768/  

mommy_mpoon
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 3:05 AM

I'm not sure if this counts as a PIF...but....

Ii was selling my laptop on Craigslist and a girl called me really needing/wanting it for school but she doesn't get paid until Nov 27th...things on Craigslist is always a first come first serve basis and I've had a list of callers to get back to. She asked if I can hold it for her and she will 100% get it when she's paid because it's perfect for school...all she has right now is about $20 that she can use as a downpayment.

I decided to meet with her this Saturday so she can look at the laptop and make sure it's what she wants. If it is, I will hold it for her with the $20 deposit and also install Microsoft Office 2007 Full Version for her FREE, because she'll need it for school and programs like that are fairly expensive.

asil
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 5:06 AM

I think it does! That is wonderful of you!  I think of PIF as anything you do, but don't have to do, but it is out of the kindness of your heart.  Not really "sympathy" for a situation, but just to be nice... this is really wonderful of you!

Quoting mommy_mpoon:

I'm not sure if this counts as a PIF...but....

Ii was selling my laptop on Craigslist and a girl called me really needing/wanting it for school but she doesn't get paid until Nov 27th...things on Craigslist is always a first come first serve basis and I've had a list of callers to get back to. She asked if I can hold it for her and she will 100% get it when she's paid because it's perfect for school...all she has right now is about $20 that she can use as a downpayment.

I decided to meet with her this Saturday so she can look at the laptop and make sure it's what she wants. If it is, I will hold it for her with the $20 deposit and also install Microsoft Office 2007 Full Version for her FREE, because she'll need it for school and programs like that are fairly expensive.

PROUD OWNER OF...
baby/toddler coupons and more!... Printable links, hints and tips, and much much more! http://www.cafemom.com/group/30682 

gmums... a group for moms who use gdiapers. A fun and healthy way to use flushable diapers! http://www.cafemom.com/group/2625

ddh developmental dysplasia of the hip... a group for moms who have a child who has or has had ddh. http://www.cafemom.com/group/33384

moms against cow's milk... a group for moms who choose, or have to remove cow's milk from their diet, or their child's.  benefits, alternatives, and comments!  http://www.cafemom.com/group/103768/  

Stormywaters03
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Aw yay keep them coming!  These are awesome stories!

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I can't financially pay it foward to anyone but I do nice gestures for people.

One thing though that someone did to me that I plan to pay foward in the future happened maybe a year and a half ago.

I was at the supermarket getting groceries... we needed them badly but we had no money in the bank and tried to put them on his debit card as credit since he would be getting paid next week. Well that didn't work and a man behind us only there to pick up 2 bags of M&Ms decided to pay for our entire grocery bill which was more then $150.

We never got his name... don't know anything about him. We wish we could thank him but we have no clue how.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Like to clean? Need to clean? Join my group!

Getting Clean & Staying Clean!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)