Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

drinking too fast?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 10:49 PM
  • 4 Replies

Just wondering how long it takes your little one to drink a bottle.  My little guy( 9 1/2 months) seems like he can really polish one off when he is hungry!  We moved him up to the stage 3 Dr. Brown nipple hoping it would help him with his teething pain.  He seems to be handling the faster flow okay- no choking/gagging  (every once in a while he takes in a little too much at once) but overall no issues with it.  I have noticed, though, that he is now drinking a bottle faster.  He can polish off a 7 ounce bottle in less than 10 minutes.  Is this normal?

by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SieversSeven
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 11:23 PM

He's doing good momma!!  I had one (we have 5) that could do the Same Thing!  I think as long as he is Happy, Not choking, gagging, or getting an upset belly after he is fine!  He's just Hungry!  ;0)  My DD .. now 4 going on 24 .. could eat like NO other baby I have as of yet to see!!  She was a PIG .. I love her but She was a PIG!!  lol .. They just want their food Yesterday!  But like I said if there are no problems, he is ok!  .. 1 ? tho .. have you tried to give him some of the Single Grain Cereals mixed in with his bottles!!  He may really just be hungry!!??  I know we started giving our kids cereales when they were about 6 to 8 months old!  Just a thought!!  :0)

group hug      The Sievers Seven!

FateoftheGodz
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Oh my son is a crazy, wild drinker too. He's always been like that. He nursed really hard too when I breastfed. He can polish off a warm bottle of milk in like less than a minute lol. He'll spit out his food and everything to suck this stuff down as fast as physically possible. Sometimes he'll take a gasping breath, and then go back. He literally pants because he hasn't breathed yet. It's crazy. I thought it was just him lol. He now uses cups but he still thinks he can drink it that fast so he knocks the cup back and after a cold splash to the face he's a little irritable.

mommy_mpoon
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 2:58 AM

I think he's doing fine. My son now 1yr can whip through a bottle of 8oz in less than 5 minutes even when he's not very hungry....as for food, he can eat all of his and anything else he can reach for before everyone else is done.

JoeyJrsMomma
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2009 at 11:31 AM

My son can do 8 oz in 10 minutes! He's on a medium flow nipple but doesn't choke or anything. We switched bc it would take him more than 2x as long to eat with the slow flow and he was starting to get mad while eat. I think it was getting him too hard to suck and would frustrate him so we switched it and he has no problems now!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)