Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

too early to exercise?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:44 PM
  • 9 Replies

How long did you wait after giving birth to start exercising again? My daughter is almost 2 weeks old and I want to start doing SOMETHING. I don't mean body building or anything but maybe some baby and me yoga or something. I am totally healed and just barely bleeding still (less than a normal period). I weigh less now than I did before I got pregnant but with my son I also dropped all the baby weight and then packed it back on because I din't do anything. I don't want that tp happen again because it was a pain n the butt to loose after that. How long did you wait?

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommy_mpoon
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM

I had C-sections so I had to wait the entire 6 weeks to do any strainuous exercising like running or lifting things (other than baby). However, my OBGYN said I was allowed to do light speed walking or even short periods of jogging so I went out with my babies for daily walks.

My friend who had vaginal delivery was told that she can start doing light exercises after 3 weeks but to wait 6 weeks before beginning to do heavier exercises.

tangleballlover
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I did walking around that time. I would put my DS in the stroller and walk around the block every day. You have to do really non-strenous stuff that early on.

~CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE NEWEST MILITARY MOM GROUP ON CAFEMOM~

Lolam84
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:03 PM

If I were you I would call your doc and get checked before you do anything crazy!!

brwneyeddaisy1
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:19 PM

You can walk!

Mamagirlz
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:04 PM

You can walk right now.  I would advise to do anything else really.  With my last pregnancy I tried excersizing early.  I felt like I could do it.  Oh man was it painful!!!  I would wait atleast 1 month or so before doing anything. 

ErinHill226
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I would start off very slow. Maybe just some stretching this week...and then next week try strolling with baby around the block. Nothing too strenuous. What I was always taught was that if you do something and the bleeding becomes heavier again...you've done too much. If you do something and nothing happens...you are likely fine.

ErinHill226
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Just wanted to add that I went shopping two days PP. All the little old ladies were looking at me like I was nuts. I didn't shop long...but just getting up and moving made me feel better. I didn't die. Didn't sleed any heavier. If you feel up to it and the bleeding is lessening and continues to do so...I wouldn't worry. I even had a Dr. tell me that the six week mark is longer than most need if you haven't had a c section and all the afterbirth is out. It's just for that crazy lady who would get up at 1 week pp and start lifting weights and training for a marathon...so they say it mostly to be safe and have the real nuts to calm down and wait. LOL. (Who knows, maybe this doc was nuts himself...but it makes sense)

Des10ed2b
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM

DONT!!!!!!!!!!!! i did the same thing. I started just doing light squats and wall push-ups about 4 weeks after my son was born and suffered a uterine prolapse because of it. not fun! i was in the shower and went to get washed and it was literally hanging out! luckily it fixed itself, but it could have been a lot worse!

i am a proud mommy of 1 ornery 1 year old little boy and one very goofy 4 year old little girl, ive been married for 2 years, together for almost 5. fun loving, eco-friendly, creative,different strokes work for different folks, stay at home and work at home mommy!

http://www.PerfectWorkForMoms.com     http://www.HealthySafeAndClean.com

Georgie0502
by on Nov. 23, 2009 at 9:16 AM

If you have a "What to Expect When You're Expecting" book, in the back postpartum section, it gives you excercises you can start doing. Walking is okay, just don't push yourself, but these excercises were great. If you were doing them before you're DD was born, you would have felt ridiculous, but they are actually pretty hard PP. They work what you need to get back into shape. They are also supposed to help speed up recovery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)