Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeding Problems PIOG

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

My son will be 7 weeks tomorrow and used to drink 3-5 oz of breastmilk every 3-4 hours.  Now in the past week he will eat 2 oz, then 1oz an hour later and the whole time in between he will fuss unless you are walking with him over your shoulder.  He doesn't sleep much during the day, but sleeps great at night and usually wolfs down 5-8 oz over a span of 2-3 hours before it's bedtime.  He seems hungry because he would munch on his fist so I thought it was because I kept reheating the breastmilk so it was bad, then I tried breastfeeding and once he started getting milk out he'd let go and start crying.  If we carry him craddled in an almost upright sitting position sometimes he will eat more.  Could it be reflux or is he just not that hungry?  It seems like he should be eating more and he just kinda grazes throughout the day.  Any ideas or if you need more information that I didn't think to write please let me know. Thank You !!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
stellarluna
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM

maybe there's an intolerance, like dairy giving him gas or tummy aches?  It's very common so thought I'd throw it out there.  otherwise, gas, or it might just be him for now!  If he should be or seems hungry but just won't eat like he should I would first think of gas.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

H696969
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM

try pumping before you nurse, just enough to get the milk started. My daughter would get mad when she would nurse and then she would give up right when the milk started or right after.When they have a bottle they get the milk right away. I don't think heating up your stored breast milk is bad as long as you haven't reheated it before. My daughter went into a snacking stage where all she wanted to do was snack. I don't know how much milk she was getting because she was only breastfeeding, but I felt like she was on every hour. Good Luck and stick with it. It is more then likely just a phase if you are still concerned in a day or two call the ped and see if you can rule out other causes.

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

koltensmom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I will tell you to try Mylicon it has worked wonders for me! I had to remove milk from my diet in order to have him tolerate the breast milk...also don't reheat Breastmilk that could be causing it to spoil which would lead to stomach aches.  My little guy goes through spurts I just try and change my diet first then try medicine. Good Luck it is stressful being a new mom no matter how many kids you have!

tomswife
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Try gas drops they are great

Bearsjen
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:20 AM

well I know my son had and has gerd/acid reflux. many times docs will diagnose colic when its actually reflux! and think about their muscles, floppy and not fully developed right? ok so the muscle flap that closes off the stomach from the esophogus, same thing, just not ready to stay closed till they are older. Does your baby spit up alot? does he seem to "fight " the bottle at times? does he take a paci and suck it furiously? btw docs recommend pacis for reflux babies and the salive produced helps with the tummy acid. might be worth a call tot he pediatrician to check him ut. the sooner its diagnosed, the better your baby feels, let us know... 

redspice4
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Quoting Bearsjen:

well I know my son had and has gerd/acid reflux. many times docs will diagnose colic when its actually reflux! and think about their muscles, floppy and not fully developed right? ok so the muscle flap that closes off the stomach from the esophogus, same thing, just not ready to stay closed till they are older. Does your baby spit up alot? does he seem to "fight " the bottle at times? does he take a paci and suck it furiously? btw docs recommend pacis for reflux babies and the salive produced helps with the tummy acid. might be worth a call tot he pediatrician to check him ut. the sooner its diagnosed, the better your baby feels, let us know... 

He doesn't spit up alot but sometimes he fights the bottle sometimes.  He will arch his back while he's eating and then after maybe an ounce push it away and start screaming.  He doesn't really give me problems when I breastfeed him and he sleeps great at night it's just during the day that he's so fussy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)