Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8mo questions

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:19 PM
  • 7 Replies

What table foods/finger foods can you give?

How many naps and for how long?

Sippy cup help (he gets it to his mouth but chews on it)

What kind of schedule?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Cynthje
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Quoting savedbygrace316:

Cut up fruit, vegetables, pasta, potatoe, bread etc.. I give her pieces that are large enough to hold in her hand and bite off. Her favorite is watermelon.

1 nap, usually 1,5 to 2 hours

Havents started with sippy cups yet

What kind of schedule?

Uhm the schedule she put herelf on, she usually nurses every 3 hours or so during the day, eats solids once or twice a day, takes one nap and sleeps 10-12 hour nights. The times are different every day, it is predictable but it depends on when she gets up and if she wants solids.

Throughout the world, there exists a group of women who feel mightily drawn to giving care to women in childbirth. At the same time maternal and independent, responsive to a mother's needs, yet accepting full responsibility as her attendant; such women are natural midwives. Without the presence and acceptance of the midwife, obstetrics becomes aggressive, technical, and inhuman.

Professor G.J. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam

LKLMommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Lilly is almost 9 months old, but has been eatingfinger foods for a couple of months now....she eats fresh fruits, steamed veggies, pasta, potatoes, cheese, grilled cheese, bagles, toast w/ cream cheese, crackers, shredded pieces of chicken and fish, etc....the list goes on and on.....pretty much anything that can be cut up small enough is okay at this age.

as far as naps.....shes taking 3 a day still....one in the morning, for about 2 hours, another one in the afternoon around 1 for another 2 hours, and then a short 45min nap around 5...then shes in bed for the night around 8:30-9.

sippy cups....she does great with sippy cups, although she prefers the ones with straws intead of the spouts so we use those. she tends to chew on the spout ones as well.....is he breastfed by any chance? i've heard that babies use the same muscles in their mouth while nursing as they do with the drink from a straw, so its easier for them to take to straws. Lilly has been drinking out of a straw since she was 4 months old.

her schedule is.....

wake up at 7, nurse, eat breakfast with her big sis and big bro (usually some cheerios or a banana)

then play until around 9, down for a nap

up at 11:30,  nurse, then get ready to get big sis from the bus

come back for lunch at noon, play for about and hour or so, then down for another nap

up at 3, nurse, eat a little snack

play until around 5, then shes down for her last nap so i can get dinner ready and stuff

up around 6, eats dinner then tops it off with a nursing session

plays until 8, gets a bath, nurses, down for the night.

wakes at 4am, nurses, back to bed until 7 and it starts all over again!!
this is the most scheduled baby i've ever had, and i think shes so scheduled because i have to be on a stricted routine with my oldest one is school now...so Lilly kinda just adapted!!

WhiteRose071406
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Jasmine is almost 9months. She eats crackers and kix's for finger food.

She takes maybe 2 naps a day depending on the day. Usually her naps are anywhere from 10mins up to 2 hours.

She uses a sippy cup. She never took a bottle. She also chews on it, but I let her. I would rather her chew on that then me.

She is usually up at 730am when her sister Lilly wakes up.

I nurse her, and then I give her some kix's while her sister is eating.

Then they both play for a while.

Around 11:30 I make lunch for my oldest, and give Jasmines some baby food.

Then she nurses again. Then they play some more.

Around 1pm I put my oldest down for her nap. Then Jasmine nurses tell she is asleep.

She sleeps for at least an hour some times more.

When she wakes up she usually nurses sometimes she just wants to play.

around 330 my oldest wakes up. I giver them both a snack.

Then around 5-6 Jasmine goes down for her 2nd nap which can be anywhere from 10mins to an hour.

When she wakes up it is dinner time. I give her some baby food while we eat our dinner.

830 is bathtime for both girls.

9pm is bedtime for my oldest. Jasmine plays for  awhile and then  nurses tell she is asleep. Which ends up being between 10-11pm.

julls04
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:26 PM

my sons been using his sippy cup since he was about 6 months but we only use it every once in awhile (like once a week with some apple juice in it) he's still learning what to do with it but we help him out, my sons not 8 months yet but he normally takes 2 to 3 naps a day anywhere from 10 to 45 mins long and sleeps all night. he hasnt started to feed himself yet ive been trying to with potatoes and stuff but he doesnt get the to mouth part he just plays with it.

foor wise his schedule is
7am bottle

9am 4 ounces of outmeal

11am bottle

noon 2nd foods fruit

2pm bottle

4pm bottle

6pm 2nd foods veggie/meat mix

8pm bottle and bed..

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

LaughterHugs
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Quoting savedbygrace316:

your choice, we didn't start solids that early, depends on if the baby has been bf or ff and when you started them on solids

L was still on her 3 a day schedule for 30min-1hour each time (9-10, 12-12:30 and 2-3)

your choice, we didn't use til L was much older (we used a straw sippy b/c she never liked the spout type)

What kind of schedule?

schedule for what?

Pregnancy ticker

CafeMom Tickers

JewelsE
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Table/finger foods:  This depends on your baby and how well he is doing with the smashed baby food in general.  My little guy just turned 8 months old, but he can't do table/finger foods yet becaues he has a bad gag reflex.  Even if I tear a tiny piece of bread and give it to him, he will gag and have a hard time with it.  Then again...he also had trouble getting used to the baby food in general when we first started it.

Naps: Our little guy takes about three naps a day, ranging from 45 min.-2 hours.  He will have a nap about two hours after he wakes up.  Then one in the afternoon and one in the evening.  He is sleeping through the night as well.

Sippy Cup:  I haven't tried a sippy cup with our little one yet, so I don't have too much advise on that topic.

Schedule: Honestly, I allowed our baby to create his schedule...his schedule is based off his needs; however, it is a schedule...it just varies depending on what time he wakes up.  He eats a 6 oz. bottle every 3 hours.  He has some Stage 2 fruits with his first bottle and some Stage 2 veggies with his second to last bottle.  Before bed we brush teeth, put on pajamas, read a story, and have hugs and kisses.  He sleeps the entire night through.

gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM

with my 2 oldest i think at that age we did a lot of finger food like the puffs and different cereals like cheerios, cinnamon toast crunch, and also the cheetoh puffs and all sorts of crackers. also we did the vienna wienees (those little soft ones that come in a can) and i would chop up a lot of fruit also. as far as foods i would feed to them pretty much anything that could be made small enough that they wouldnt choke on it. i would take spaghetti or other pasta and chop it real fine and they liked that and also cheese enchiladas, quesadillas, grilled cheese sandwich, a lot of veggies like cooked carrots, peas, the soft part of broccoli, meatloaf, potatoes, beans, rice

as far as naps go i think around that age they usually did 2 a day. one in the morning one in the afternoon both around an hour or more but it would probably just depend on how long the naps are and how long your son sleeps at night.

for the sippy cup its pretty normal for them to just play with it a lot at that age. i would just keep offering  it and maybe try different kinds to find one he likes. i know of a lot of kids that prefer the straw ones so u might try that.

we never really had a strict schedule. they just ate 3 meals a day usually around the same time as me whicj i would say breakfast about 8:30am lunch around 12-12:30pm and supper about 6pm with small snacks in between and nap in morning and afternoon. bedtime was usually around 9 or 9:30pm and usually wake up around 8am

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)