Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is one peice of advice you wish you had NOT taken?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:59 PM
  • 7 Replies

Here's mine: My mom works at a daycare, so when it comes to babies (she works in the infant room) she knows just about everything. From which parenting techniques REALLY produce whiney and poorly adjusted kids to which diapers have the most leaks. (They are required to use parent's diapers, parenting choices when feasible---since they have 14 kids---etc)

Well, when dd was about 3 or 4 months old she was HORRIBLY constipated. She just was crying and in pain and fussy and neither of us were feeling really good about it. I asked my mom what I should give her, and she said just mix a little bit of prune baby food into her bottle and that should loosen it up. So I did that and then put her in her swing, where she fell asleep. I used her nap to start on some housework...but a half  hour later I heard her SCREAMING. Not just your typical "help, I'm wet!" scream...this was a blood curdling screech that scared the crap out of me. I went in there and at first glance, all was well...but when I picked her up I saw the problem.

Runny, purple, disgusting POOP had literally exploded from her diaper and was seeping up her  back and everywhere else. (how it missed the swing, I'll never know)

I grabbed her and laid her in the bathtub frantically trying to figure out what to do...I ended up having to cut the onsie off  of her because pulling it over her head would have been impossible without getting it in her eyes, nose, mouth, and hair. Then I rinsed her off and got her dressed and let her finish her nap. After which, I called mom and said "Why would you tell me to do that?"

In her defense, she's done it a million times without such dire consequences, and it worked like a charm a month later when I so foolishly tried it again. Maybe I used just a tad too much...

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
firenicecream
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Honestly, the only advice I remember getting was good advice. Probably because I knew beforehand (from good advice, lol) to only take the good advice and forget the bad. I didn't have a bad experience when it comes to advice. =)

Mary229
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM

HaHaHa!  I'm sorry, but that's really funny to me because I deal with those scenarios all the time.  My DD gets constipated & won't go for 3-4 days at a time.  Then when she does go, she explodes everywhere like that!  Even without the help of prunes.  I cannot afford to cut her clothes off of her every time, so I have become a master at removing the clothing without getting it in her face.  And at getting the stains out of her clothes!  I have found that using a combination of Shout & Oxyclean while scrubbing with an old toothbrush works the best...

As for the worst advice?  I think that would be giving my child Tylenol before their vaccinations.  My sitter told me to give the kids Tylenol about a 1/2 hour before their appointment to get their immunizations to prevent fever/pain from the injection.  But now I'm reading that new research indicates that you are essentially rendering the immunization ineffective by doing that.  So I'm PO'd at myself for listening to the sitter.

kmstockwell
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Quoting Mary229:

HaHaHa!  I'm sorry, but that's really funny to me because I deal with those scenarios all the time.  My DD gets constipated & won't go for 3-4 days at a time.  Then when she does go, she explodes everywhere like that!  Even without the help of prunes.  I cannot afford to cut her clothes off of her every time, so I have become a master at removing the clothing without getting it in her face.  And at getting the stains out of her clothes!  I have found that using a combination of Shout & Oxyclean while scrubbing with an old toothbrush works the best...

As for the worst advice?  I think that would be giving my child Tylenol before their vaccinations.  My sitter told me to give the kids Tylenol about a 1/2 hour before their appointment to get their immunizations to prevent fever/pain from the injection.  But now I'm reading that new research indicates that you are essentially rendering the immunization ineffective by doing that.  So I'm PO'd at myself for listening to the sitter.

I did the same thing and I think I got the advice from a Parenting mag or something along those lines.  It seemed like a good idea at the time :)       

The worst advice I got (but did not follow) was from my husband's grandmother when I had my second baby.  She told me to only show the new baby love and attention after the older one was in bed.  Now I now why my FIL is so messed up in the head!      I have been lucky enough to get good advice like the PP, for the most part... nothing has blown up in my face yet, anyway.

ErinHill226
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM

I think as I've gone along I've learned to follow my own instincts a lot more and only take advice when it makes sense to me... but in the first few months I listened to virtually everything so I wouldn't make a mess of things...and well...we see how that worked.

armywife43
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM

laughing i'm sorry...lmao...but i have the right to laugh at that one...lol. my son was constipated while we were on vacation for the weekend. i decided to give him some prunes ( i did know the risks of the explosive diaper, i myself was a daycare/preschool teacher. i worked with kids ages 6wks- 3yrs). about 12 hours after giving him prunes, he had no BM, not even explosive. so the next morning (another 12 hours of nothing) we had packed up and were leaving (a 16 hour drive). needless to say, THAT'S when he decided to have the explosive diareah, 4 times in 2 hours! we ended up having to stop on the side of the road a couple times to change him. thankfully, after the second time, (he hadn't gotten it on his carseat YET) we got smart and put a light blanket on the carseat under him, just in case. sure enough, it got all over the blanket the next time around.

to the pp, yeah i heard about the tylonal before the shots, i've never done that though. it never made any sense to me. thankfully though, my kids didn't need any meds after they're shots. they cried, got hugs and kisses, then were playing a few minutes later. even at 2 months.

as for the original question, i can't say i've had any bad advice i've done. guess working in the daycare kind of prepped me for it, so if someone told me something that didn't sound right, i wouldn't do it.

KyKrsbonusmom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Oh.....?  My son goes for his shots tomorrow and my Mom told me to give him a fever/pain reliever...not sure what to do now...?

Quoting Mary229:

jenpet
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:55 PM

The only advice I have ever received that I couldn't accept was "if there is nothing wrong with him and he's crying, don't try to soothe him. That extends to when he's in trouble."

I can't keep myself from trying - even if I have no clue why he's upset, I'll almost always put my hand on his back (if not hold him) and talk to him. If he did something pushing the boundaries of the rules, I think that's one of the most important times to reassure him that I love him and why things are "no-no's". Even though they AREN'T little adults, the earlier we start with those kinds of explinations, the better they will understand them later in life.

Most everything else that my folks and cousin has shared with me has been pretty useful to one degree or another.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)