Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have a 3 month old and currently he sleeps in his swing at night.  I started letting him sleep there b/c he will sleep almost all night only waking 1-2 times for a bottle.  I would like to get him into his crib.  The problem is every time I lay him down he either wakes up right away or he wakes shortly after I put him in there.  He sleeps so much better in the swing.  He will lay and play in his crib for a long time without fussing or crying so its not like he hates his crib.  How do I transition him into his crib.  None of my other kids did this my little girl was a great sleeper and slept in her crib with no problems and my other son never slept good in his crib so we gave up on even trying and moved him into a toddler bed shortly after he turned 1.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
firenicecream
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Does he get comforted when he hears your voice? If so, maybe try rubbing his back and talking him to sleep.

H696969
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I would start with naps. I would wait until your little one is really close to falling asleep and then lay him in the crib. You can pat his tummy or sing to him. You could also play some form of music. I would just start with short times in the crib to practice sleeping still rather then moving. He probably is use to moving and the crib doesn't move for him so you will have to train him to sleep without the movement. Just lengthen the amount of time each day. Start with the first nap and every few days add another nap time until you start working on the nighttime. Good Luck

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

ANAHITA72
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I didn't transition my son into his room until he was 6 months old - since I was nursing him full time. he did fall asleep in the swing as well a few times, but I didnt think it was good for his back/posture, so I would put him in the bassinet (arms' reach bassinet) next to my bed and would gently rock him until he fell back asleep. I also used to swaddle him, which helped a lot.

If your baby is not ready to be in the crib alone, keep him next to your bed and try putting him in his bed/crib in the middle of the night. Also, he is really young to be on his own I think. That's my personal view - I think they still need mommy's comfort and voice nearby constantly when they are that age :)

Do you have anything that acts as a constant white noise in the background or not? That seems to help. When my son was in our room, I would leave the bathroom fan on and now, in his own room, I put a water sound white noise at night - and it calms him and he sleeps right away.

luvbeingmama
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM

sounds to me like he likes motion so try getting a crib vibrator.

midnight1014
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:36 PM

At night I don't have the swing swinging LOl I didn't want him to get use to sleeping with movement and he will sleep in the swing without the swinging movement also the crib is still in our room and is right next to our bed.  I won't move him out of our room til he is a lot older.  All my kids were in my room till after 8 months or so.  Part of the problem is when I put him down he freaks himself out by moving his arms and legs if that makes any sense.  When he is in the swing he doesn't have the room to do that with his legs or arms.  

ballewal
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Try swaddling him. 

Quoting midnight1014:

At night I don't have the swing swinging LOl I didn't want him to get use to sleeping with movement and he will sleep in the swing without the swinging movement also the crib is still in our room and is right next to our bed.  I won't move him out of our room til he is a lot older.  All my kids were in my room till after 8 months or so.  Part of the problem is when I put him down he freaks himself out by moving his arms and legs if that makes any sense.  When he is in the swing he doesn't have the room to do that with his legs or arms.  

DarthMom001
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:38 PM

If he's not fussing in the crib why not leave him there? It's best to let him learn to soothe himself to sleep.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Ok I have two suggestions. First put his mattress on a little bit of an incline so it isn't so flat. Second, try to put him down before he actually falls asleep and allow him to CIO for a bit. I know it is hard for a lot of moms to let their little ones cry but he needs to be able to learn how to fall alseep on his own. You can rub his back for a little and sing or talk to him before you leave the room so that he knows you are there for him. If you stick with the CIO and don't give in it should only take a few days to maybe a week and you should be all set after that. If you want any further suggestions on the CIO fell free to message me and I will tell you exactly how I did it with my DS. GL mama.

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2.

luvbeingmama
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:56 PM

swaddle him up...you could also try putting him in his carseat and sitting the carseat in his crib for a few days so he gets use to being in there.

midnight1014
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Putting him in his carseat is not an option since he hates it and everytime he is in it all he does is cry.

Quoting luvbeingmama:

swaddle him up...you could also try putting him in his carseat and sitting the carseat in his crib for a few days so he gets use to being in there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)