Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Regarding sleeping through the night! Help!

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:32 PM
  • 52 Replies

My son is 5 months and he still does not sleep throught out the night .No matter how much more he eats ,it still the same.He wakes up at 1 and then 3 or 430 and then 6.All the times it;s to eat but, then he goes right back to sleep! Help

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballewal
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:34 PM

My niece is 16 months and doesn't sleep through the night. Some kids do, some do not. Eating more won't necessarily make them sleep more. It's more developmental than that. 

StephJustice19
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM

my son is 22mo old and doest the same thing. but he doesnt eat he just wants more milk. and i have a 3mo old right now. and he sleeps better that my oldest does. lol

JenJordenmommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:41 PM

He takes lots of naps during the day, can that be the cause also?

JenJordenmommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:44 PM

I guess he will grow out of it?

stepmom929
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

My daughter is 6 months old and she doesn't even come close to sleeping through the night! She was a better sleeper when she was younger, but the last month or so she gets up every 2 hours and wants to nurse for 5-10 mins and then goes back to sleep. I know that 6 months is the time teething begins (I'm pretty sure she is) and a growth spurt happens around now too, which makes her more hungry. Those are the reasons I am just going with the flow and getting up for her when she needs it. If she's in pain or hungry I want to be there to comfort her...I don't want her laying there crying for me. I WILL ADD that I am a SAHM so that makes my schedule much more flexible than a working moms, and if I was working I would probably be much more motivated to try some different techniques.  I know there are books you can buy with some ideas and many moms on here will have some things you can try too - good luck!

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Too many naps can make a difference. I would try to get him down to 2 naps a day so that he is tired by the end of the day. Also, when he wakes up during the night, I would go in there, keep the lights off and give him a binky (if you use those) and rub his back a little then let him cry back to sleep. I had to do that with my son and it worked. It had got to the point that I would feed him when he woke up but he would only take like an ounce. He is old enough now that he does not need to eat during the night as long as he is eating enough during the day. Good luck. It will get easier.

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2.

diablo51987
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM

My son is 5 months old and mostly sleeps all night, every once in awhile we will be up a few times to eat. It depends on what we do that day. I take him to friends houses and we go out with other kids and he is out cold all night when we come home. He started between 3 and 4 months. He likes sleeping on him belly, and once I started letting him he slept all night. I wasnt sleeping for the first few nights but now I put him down at 8 and he sleeps until 6

JenJordenmommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:53 PM

when i do feed him he just falls asleep right there . No way of keeping him from staying awake..

JenJordenmommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Thank you, everyone for the advice i will check later for more comments ,i  work from home so i can't keep up with the conversations.But, thank you!

Jensmile mini

Sammieda
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM

He's only 5 months old. My daughter is 16 months and wakes up maybe 2 times a night sometimes less. It really depends. Also if you limit his naps it will make night time sleep worse. The more sleep he gets the better he'll be at night. When they are overly tired they are MUCH harder to get to sleep and to stay asleep.

Honestly I wouldnt be concerned with him not sleeping through the night. Its parenthood. They dont sleep through the night at the sametimes. Like they all dont walk at the sametimes or talk at the sametimes. It happens when they mature and get older. I also wouldnt limit how much he wants to eat at night. Now if he were 12 months then yes or even 10 months then yes but he's still just 5 months old. Dont rush him to grow up he's still a baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)