Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

15-20 month olds?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM
  • 14 Replies

Does anyone else have a child in this age range right now?

If so are you going as crazy as I am?

This stage is SO HARD!  My son is 16 months old right now, and I had forgotten how difficult this stage was with my first child...

(I am a SAHM with a hubby who is going to school full time right now.  Which means he is hardly ever home when you add all of his tests and school work, and being gone for work too).

My son is into EVERYTHING!!!! He is still young enough that he does not really understand boundaries, or time out, but old enough to be VERY active, busy, and mobile.  He can find a way to get over, under, around, or through any barriers that I create for him including baby gates, childproof latches on the cupboards, and putting things on high shelves.  He is such a little climber, and is also very resourceful in finding things to help him climb like ottomans, large plastic bowls turned upside down, his rocking horse etc. etc. etc.  One of his favorite things to do right now is to empty every drawer in our home, including the dresser drawers (in the room he shares with his older brother) that are full of their clean folded clothes, and then empty their dirty laundry hamper and throw all of the clothes everywhere in their room... and the rest of our home!  Some days I just want to rip my hair out!  Aaaaaah!

Today he managed to get a cup of apple juice (his older brother's) out of the kitchen then dumped the entire thing all over himself and the couch in our living room! 

Does anyone have some sanity saving tips to get me through this wonderful stage?!?!?

Proud wife, and mama of 2 boys.

in love  kitetoddler boy

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
davidsmom81
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:36 PM

LOL my son will be 16 mths on the 19th.  I know what you mean about the drawers.... And folding laundry???  Forget it is DS is around.  He just empties every drawer he sees!  He's starting to climb on everything, my coffee table is his favorite.  He's my first so I'm not really sure if I can offer any advice only that I am in the same boat.  Anything he can get his hands on he does :)

ballewal
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:38 PM

My 14 month-old is like that. Pulls everything off the sofa, unfolds laundry, takes things out of the fridge if I have the door open, tries to get in the dishwasher...

armywife43
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:42 PM

my dd is 16 months....and she's a doll. between her and my 2yr old, she is SO good! if i tell her no, she listens. ( a couple of months ago this wasn't the case, a few times of tapping her on the hand and giving her a firm no, and she learned lol). i haven't had to worry about her even touching the christmas tree!

now, my 2yr old is the one driving me insane! i feel like a broken record, i'm tired of even saying " i'm tired of saying things over and over again". it's so exhausting! thank God for nap time and bedtime! lol

Dear God, think you can make santa real this year and send my DH home in time for Christmas? That's all I want...

reindeer 1reindeer 2sleigh come home

kamerons_mommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I have an 18mo and an almost 3yo. My 18mo does well at listening, but my 3yo does not. He is into everything. He loves to climb the shelves in the pantry and makes messes 24/7. He can usually get past all of the baby gates and safety latches etc. I have found 1 gate that contains him... well right now it's around my sewing/business area and it has done well at keeping him out. My hubby calls it the barnyard or corral because its 1 of those gates w/6 panels that hooks to itself. Anyone know what I am talking about?

newmom2be08
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Ahhhh...yes, I am in the same boat!  We have an 18 month-old son who is very rambunctious to say the least.  I try to scramble to get a lot of things done when he is napping, because once he is up, look out!  He gets into everything...the garbage, the drawers, climbs on the the end tables, empties his dresser drawers, fights diaper changes, fights getting dressed, fights getting into the highchair, fights getting out of the bathtub, etc.  I've decided not to put up the Christmas tree this year as he will just end up tearing it down.  I feel somedays that I am going to lose my mind!!!!!!  You are not alone!  I don't think there is much you can do to deter them at this age...they are toddlers who like to explore.  The best thing you can do is to put things that can harm him out of reach, redirect him, and make sure he is safe.  I feel your pain, mama! 

frustrated

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM

My son is 16 months and driving me crazy lol. He runs aways from me, bites, kicks, screams, throws himself around, etc. Some days I wonder how I do it but then he gives me those cute little puppy dog eyes and gives me a big hug and I forget about it =]

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2.

TatymMommi
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:04 PM

i too have a VERY active 16 month old who climbs, go around barrieres and just learned how to tip over his playpen and climb on top of it to get to things! he's a complete mess but also lots of fun, ive actually been pretty calm about it being a 1st time mom he gets away with a lot cause he's my 1st and only at the moment! i just get in the floor and play with him. my hubby travels for work  is gone only m-f home for the weekend and it only a little travel and sometimes not quiet a week long but still i don't like it. 

BigBoMom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:08 PM

ok i admit i read this out of curiousity. my son is 12 mo. old and your saying that your kids waited until they were 15+ mo. to do all this to you? my son has been like this since he could walk 2 mo ago!!! OMG does that mean it will get worse? He recently was "helping" me with laundry and threw an ink pen in the dry...which i didn't see and it exploded all over the clothes, including my DH work uniform!!!! and we had to put him in his big boy bed already bc he learned to crawl out of his crib and to tip his play pen over.....and man that has been a godsend. but now he won't leave the sheets or blankets on ther durning the day...and there is no putting anything below 3 feet at our house, it will become his and he will destroy it beyond all recognition. and he broke our Christmas tree within the first hour it was up....:-(

He's my first so i don't know whats normal or what to expect. But i will keep you in my thoughts and just remember as long as everyone is still healthy and alive at the end of the day, its been a good day. good luck! 

I love everyday with my Son, and I miss him every minute we're apart!

CafeMom Tickers

Jemia
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:37 PM

My daughter just turned 20 months old yesterday and she does the same thing with the clothes, takes out of the drawer and drags them all over the place. It drives me so crazy.

MunchiesMom324
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I hate to be the one to say it... but it doesnt get any better.  My DS2 is 22 mos... He takes his diaper off b/c he doesnt like potty pants, but he hates the potty... so we have to steam-clean the carpet every week or two... he tries to change out the trash bags (I know, he's trying to be helpful...) he bosses everyone around, unfolds the laundry I just did and throws it in the laundry room floor... does the same thing with the drawers he can get to... has learned how to open the fridge (and get his own cheese sticks...).. opens the drawers and puts all cooking utensils and silverware in the sink... if a bottle of anything (whether its cleaning stuff or even hand soap...) is left within his reach, he's squirting it on the floor and "cleaning the floors" - this child even loves to pretend sweep, mop and vaccum. 

I think I have a future neat-freak on my hands...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)