Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help Weaning 1yr old from Soy Formula to Milk

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM
  • 4 Replies

My Daughter turns 1 yrs old next week. She has been on Soy Formula her whole life. Although I don't think she's lactose intolerant, we put her on the soy when she was born because she was having trouble sucking after she was born and we just tried the Soy thinking it may have been the milk. But she eats Cheese. Anyway I know at the age of 1 people start transitioning to regular milk. When she has been on Soy do I mix a lil reg milk with the formula a lil bit at a time until she can take the milk, or do I mix the Soy formula with soy milk first, then try the reg milk?   Thanks!

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Sammieda
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Im probably not much help as my daughter was breastfeed and is allergic to cows milk. She cant have any dairy in her diet at all.

But from my friends who's formula fed they started 3/4 formula and then 1/4 milk and slowly made it 1/2 and 1/2 and then more milk and less formula. Thats what I would do to help with the different taste. Good luck!

saraelf
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:43 PM

have you tried leting your little one try regular milk? my son was also on soy because the regualr formula was upseting his tummy so when i went to regular milk i was a lil worried but what i did was made maybe 3 oz of formula and an ounce of regular milk when he finished the formula i pourd the regular milk in the bottle and had him drink the rest after a day or two he stoped wanting formula and sucked down the regular milk. he loved it. try giving him a little cow milk. his poopie is going to look weird but if its too runny then ask your doctor. for the first few days of cows milk my boy had light green poopie but it soon changed after a week. good luck

Jeana28
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Thanks Ladies, I will give it a try!

Savannah89
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM

my sons the same way i asked my doctor about weaning jojo off of soy milk to regular milk, he told me to start it off with 4 oz of milk and 4 oz of soy milk..Then he said after a week do 6 oz of milk and 2 oz of soy milk and the the third week do all milk. The child should be fine after that with regular milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)