Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergic to pregnancy? PIOG

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM
  • 7 Replies

So ever since this pregnancy started I have been getting these bumps all over my body that itch to high heaven!!!  It didnt happen with my first pregnancy and I have never had an issue with it before. The bumps are all really spaced out, not together like a rash or anything. I asked my doctor and he said it didnt seem to be affecting me or the baby but honestly I am tired of scratching till I bleed and then scratching the scabs cause it is just one of those itches that just can be satified. Has anyone else heard of this happening or had it happen to you?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ballewal
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM

It happened to a work friend of mine. I thought it was very strange when she talked about it. Have you tried colloidal oatmeal? 

meglennox
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:10 PM

i don't remember what's it called, but a friend of mine a couple of years ago was telling me with her pregnacy she got a rash of sorts about halfway through it.  as soon as she had her son, it cleared up.  literally, that night in the hospital she realized she wasn't itching anymore.  i know that probably doesn't help. i hope it gets better for you.

toddler boyBrodey   baby 1stholiday   Mason  christmas tree  wreath

Sorchasmom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Colloidial oatmeal, calamine, claritin, benadryl..... nothing is working.

Quoting ballewal:

It happened to a work friend of mine. I thought it was very strange when she talked about it. Have you tried colloidal oatmeal? 

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:25 PM

OMG I feel ur pain. It happened to me with my son and it was everywhere. I had never had so much itching and pain. It is a pregnancy rash and it means that you are allergic to the pregnancy hormones. Unfortunately it stays until after the baby is born. It got so bad for me that they actually put me on prednazone. Here is my belly. GL hun.

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2.

Sorchasmom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Yeah thats about what I look like on my stomache thighs and neck. That kinda sucks that it stays. Good luck though on trying to concieve your next baby.

Quoting expectantmom81:

OMG I feel ur pain. It happened to me with my son and it was everywhere. I had never had so much itching and pain. It is a pregnancy rash and it means that you are allergic to the pregnancy hormones. Unfortunately it stays until after the baby is born. It got so bad for me that they actually put me on prednazone. Here is my belly. GL hun.

kl08
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Oh NO, I remeber when my friend had that.  She tried everything out there and nothing helped.  I hope that it is controlable for you and that it doesn't stay too long.  Just keep trying things. But I think it stops at delivery.  Hopefully you don't have much longer to go!

tangleballlover
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Could be PUPPP

Approximately one percent of women will develop an itchy, raised rash in the last part of their pregnancy called PUPPP (pruritic uticarial pupules and placques of pregnancy), also known as polymorphic eruption of pregnancy. According to the American Academy of Dermatology it is the most common skin condition of pregnancy, usually appearing during the third trimester, and, although the discomfort and itching may keep you up at night, PUPPP is harmless to both you and your baby.

ADVERTISEMENT

The cause of PUPPP is unknown and it is not associated with any other pregnancy condition, such as preeclampsia, or any abnormality of the fetus. It appears to run in families and, oddly, 70 percent of women with PUPPP give birth to boys. This correlation has given rise to the hypothesis that male fetal DNA acts as a skin irritant, but conclusive evidence is still needed.

PUPPP usually develops during a first pregnancy and appears first on the abdomen near the belly button (often in stretch marks) and then spreads to the thighs and extremities as the small, red wheals of the rash gradually merge to create larger wheals.

There is no cure for PUPPP, but the irritation usually can be relieved with cortisone creams, high strength steroid creams, or oral steroids if the itching is severe. The rash and the itching usually resolve a couple of days to a week after delivery.

~CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE NEWEST MILITARY MOM GROUP ON CAFEMOM~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)