Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which bottles...

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM
  • 27 Replies

would you recommend to a new mom? My bff just had a baby on Saturday and he is so gassy so I bought her some Dr. Browns bottles but what would you recommend?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mel30248
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I am unsure I think it just depends on the baby. When I was prego I got a bunch of those Playtex bottles with the bend in them so they are easy to hold up & planned to do the bags. Well when I had my daughter the hospital gave us one of those bags full of samples & it had an Avent bottle in it. We tried the Playtex ones at first but she hated them so we tried the Avent & that is what she used from then on out. I liked the Avent's personally no bags in them but they weren't bad to clean. Wish I had better advice for ya!

proudmamafeb
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Well thank you!

Quoting Mel30248:

I am unsure I think it just depends on the baby. When I was prego I got a bunch of those Playtex bottles with the bend in them so they are easy to hold up & planned to do the bags. Well when I had my daughter the hospital gave us one of those bags full of samples & it had an Avent bottle in it. We tried the Playtex ones at first but she hated them so we tried the Avent & that is what she used from then on out. I liked the Avent's personally no bags in them but they weren't bad to clean. Wish I had better advice for ya!

tangleballlover
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM

AVENT! I used them with both children and I absolutely LOVE them.

~CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE NEWEST MILITARY MOM GROUP ON CAFEMOM~

Mamagirlz
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I only use Dr. brown's when they are infants.  It's the best bottle I've ever tried and works wonders!  Whenever a friend of mine has a baby that's what I get them and they always have great things to say about them.  I wouldn't ever use anything else till they could start moving around on their own.

ANAHITA72
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I tried a number of different bottles because my son was gassy all the time. I used the Playtex drop-ins, but the only reason I switched to the Playtex Ventaire bottles was because for the drop-ins, you have to push up the milk until it comes out of the nipple a little bit, which means there is no more air in the bottle. It's ok if you are feeding the baby right away and don't have to put the bottle down to burp, move the baby or whatever you need to. The moment you put the bottle down, the bag drops back down and air gets in it again, so then you have to try to push a half empty bag up again to get the air out. 

I then switched to the Playtex Ventaire, which is awesome, I still use them. The only thing with the Ventaire bottles is that when you wash it, you have to make sure to take apart the bottom well and make sure it is dry before putting it back together, or the milk will leak if it is put together wet, since the silicone won't stick to the bottom part well. 

I don't know about Dr. Brown's, never used them, they looked too complicated :)

Good luck to your friend and congrats on her new baby :)

ChelleO
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM

I don't know. Every baby is different. When my oldest was a baby I used Avent and Playtex Drop ins. With my newborn I am using the basic gerber bottle and love it. I have some glass evenflo bottles but I would rather use the gerber bottle. And the best thing is that the gerber bottle is only 0.99 for both the 5oz bottle and the 9oz bottle.

Katie-marie
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM

We started out with the play-tex drop ins, recently decided to switch. After many many different types of bottles we stumbled upon MAM bottles (The only place I have found them, is at Toys-R-Us) and I absolutely LOVE them. They seem to keep his tummy happy :)

SexyPackerMama
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Personally we have had the best luck with the bottles from the dollar store. I know that sounds really bad but they are the best ones we have found. 

LilyandEmmasMom
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I am not sure. We have been using the evenflo glass bottles since I stopped breastfeeding. Just because I don't like all that plastic. Our daughter has not had any problems.

MommyJ0697
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:14 PM

I use NUK, Dr. Brown's and a few Dropins. Honestly, I LOVE the NUK ones better and so does my DS, but if its late at night, neither of us care which bottle it is. Try some mylicon gas drops or even gripe water can help too. It may not be the bottle either, it might be the formula.

I am a proud mommy of 6 beautiful children 2 heavenly angels, and a 16yr old SD I CIO, formula feed, forward face, circumsize, use epidurals, c-sections from now until I'm done with kids, Child led weaninf of bottles and pacis,, divorced and loving my new man, and I don't care what you think of me! Emmalyn Renee, Caitlyn Taylor, Cassidy Rose, Caralyn Michela (rip), Clara Delores, Jack Daniel, James David, Jordan Douglas, Josiah Douglas (rip), and Baby Bradner!!

pregnancy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)