Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice...

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM
  • 20 Replies

Now we have all been told different things when it comes to caring for a babies umbilical cord so my question is rubbing alcohol or let it go?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs.reece
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:07 PM

i doctored it with alcohol but not as much as i was told and everything turned out just fine! just keep a close eye on it!

Mamagirlz
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I've always used rubbing alcohol with all 3 of my kids.  I wouldn't let it go.  It seemed like if I didn't do it it would start getting gross and get on their clothes real easy.  So I tried to keep up with it.  Plus it dries it up quicker.  The nurse also told me to still clean the belly button after it falls off for a couple of days to get all that gunk out and keep it clean. 

ANAHITA72
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:44 PM

no alcohol - at the hospital they told us that was what people used to do before, but it would actually irritate the baby's skin more. So no, don't do anything, keep it dry and let it be on its own, It usually falls off within 2 weeks. Use the Pampers Swaddlers diapers, they have an umbilical cord notch.

8firsttimemom8
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:46 PM

I used alcohol on my son who was born july 11 2008

ChelleO
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I have never cared for the umbilical cord because both my babies spent the first several weeks of their lives in the NICU. When they finally came home it had already fallen off. I think at the hospital they just left alone though.

Heidi428
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Left it alone with all three and they all fell off at different times.

H696969
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I used it with my son who is 12 years old, but not with my daughter who is 5 months. I was told this time around not to use it that it is no longer recommended. I have no idea why but it fell off all the same so I guess it wasn't needed.

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

jessigarrett
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:14 AM

WHEN MY GIRLS WERE BORN IN JAN 08 I WAS TOLD I SHOULD USE ALCOHOL I DID BUT NOT AS MUCH AS I SHOULD AND THEY BOTH FELL OF WITHIN 12 HOURS OF EACHOTHER ABOUT A WEEK AFTER THEY WERE HOME

Ambereno144
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:16 AM

I used the rubbing Alcohol wipes. (they gave them to me at the hospital) But I have heard of people not using Alcohol and just letting it fall off on its own.

VayAndLexasMom
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Let it go. I accidentally ripped Nevaeh's off at the doctor's office. She fucking SCREAMED her face off and I had no clue why. When I got home and changed her diaper I saw it was gone and there was some dried blood around the area...I thought about it...and eventually figured it out. When I did it, I was holding her and went to adjust her position, and I think it got caught on my zipper on my shirt and when I moved her away from me really fast, it ripped off. I felt HORRIBLE. My poor baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)