Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

White Noise Machines? (edited) and updated

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:16 AM
  • 19 Replies

I am thinking maybe we should get a white noise machine for my 7 week old baby to help her go to sleep.  She loves sounds like the dishwasher, washing machine, running water, etc.  She also loves her vibrating chair (and sometimes use it a lot to get her to sleep), but we want her to mostly be used to her crib.  Also, as she gets a little older, we want her to be able to go to sleep on her own.  I saw one that's on sale for $20 and others that are like $50, but I'd rather spend less if I can get a nice one.  Any way, have any of you ever tried one or something similar?  Did you like it or not?  Thanks!

My only two concerns 1. if my baby becomes too independent on the noise.  For your kids, do you leave it on all night/ all nap or does it more help them get to sleep?  2. if I would be able to sleep with the sound.  Hubby would sleep with a fan if I let him, but I don't like the sound.  Even more than that, it's a big fan and makes me cold.  Any way, I think I would like some of the sounds of a noise machine better though.  I guess if I can't stand the noise then we could move my baby into the room with her brother.  She is only waking up 1-2 times a night any way.  Any incite on these two things?

Thanks for your replies.  We ended up getting a "Sound Sleeper" that has a lot of different sounds like ocean, rain, brook, wind, womb, seagull, etc.  This will be our 4th night having it and Kaitlyn is sleeping really well and seems to like it.  My 3 yr old is very noisy so it helps drownd out the noise for naps, too.  I also go to sleep easier and sleep deeper as well so it's been great.  Can't believe we haven't had one sooner!

Lilypie - (DN3c)Lilypie - (QfLJ)Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
Looking for a Fun WAH company?  Love Candles?
Debi, Independent Consultant for DiamondCreek Candles
Make Every Room Smile, or Start Working at Home for FREE

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robibuni
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Ohhhh yes!

We bought one (it makes nature noises) and it was the best money we ever spent. The noise definitely helps her drift off to sleep. I feel like it's better to get her used to the noise so we can still do stuff while she sleeps and not have to tip toe. Seriously, it was a good purchase.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

mommy2bunny
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:21 AM

Yes, we've used one for my DD since day 1.  We play the "rain" noise on it.  She sleeps so well, especially since we live in apts and have slightly noisy neighbors....the sound machine helps drown them out.  If your DD sleeps well with the washers and things running, then she'll love the sound machines.  We paid $20 for the current one we have and it's lasted about 1 1/2 yrs, so far.  It came from Walmart. 

Artistachica
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:27 AM

Never tried it but I really wanted to get one....but both my kids ended up being good without one. I think I should get me one though...hehehe...Nature sounds are sooo relaxing =).

peanutslave
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:25 AM

No, I wanted one, but DH considered it an "extravagance" and felt we would be unlikely to use it often enough to warrant it. I was VERY lucky with my son, he is a content little man. We always have the radio on in my house and DS is happy with that. I try to sneak in classical music while DH is at work, since I've heard it stimulates baby's intellect. (DH prefers that we stick to hard rock/heavy metal as it is more often linked with creativity.) My SIL uses the television, but DH is convinced that TV rots the brain. If you can't afford, or just don't want to buy, a white noise machine, there are so many other options.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
MelMor986
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:04 AM

We bought a sound machine for our baby and it works great.  We tried the different sounds but plain white noise works best.  First, we bought a cheap electronic one but returned it and purchased the Marpac SleepMate 980a instead.  This model produces very real sounding white noise, not a "static" sound like the other machines.  Bought ours at Sleepwellbaby.com.  With their free shipping offer, it only cost us $49.95.  Well worth it.  I recommend it highy. http://www.sleepwellbaby.com

Mamato2angels
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:23 AM

starting at about 3 weeks old my DD started crying all the time and we tryed everything with her the only thing that she liked was the vacume or the white noise from the tv. after using the vacume so much our electric bill starting going up and we could not keep listen to a vacume all the time and we needed something that we could bring with us so if we were out in the store or in the car so about 3 months back on my oldest DD birthday we bought her a lil mp3 player. hubby plugged into the computer  and put white noise music on it and the best part about it is that it dont take batteries you plug it right into the computer and it charges and it holds a charge for a few days. we used it about 13 hours a day at night when she went to bed at 10 pm and we got up at 8am it would be still on now that she is 3 months old she still loves it.I love how small it is and how I can bring it with us.

it is about 2 in. big and we got it at walmart for $30. if you need something that you want to use in the house and bring places with you then you should get this its great and when you dont nee to use it for white noise any more you can put different music on it.

Blake1217
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Our babies slept in our room for the first few months of their life, and my husband can't sleep without a fan on for background noise. So, they were used to that at an early age. When we put them in their own room, we had a fan on in their room, on low so it doesn't get cold, and they have slept with that ever since. I'm worried now, since they are sooo used to it and everytime we go somewhere, we gotta make sure there is a fan for that reason, BUT...I figured when they are 1 or 2, they'll get over it and if not, oh well! LOL It's a small price to pay if it makes them sleep well. So, you could do that if you don't want to spend money on it if you have a small fan lying around. :-)

~*Blake*~

~*Loving wife to Frank {{6.23.06}}*~

bride

~*Proud stay-at-home mommy to Connor Francis {{3:58 a.m.}} and Merasia Madelyn {{4:31 a.m.}}, born 1.9.09*~

busy mom

~*Currently trying to concieve baby number 3*~

ttc

ConnersMom03
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I was surprised to get so many responses so soon-  Thanks!!  White noise machines sound great.  I think my baby would do really great with one.  We actually aren't getting her much for Christmas since she is so young, so we should get a white noise machine for her Christmas  =)

michelle2129
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I also bought the 50$ one from sleepwellbaby, well worth the money, we use it for naps, and night time. We have 3 dogs, and sometimes loud naughbors so it helps cover the noise, especially for those naps. 

Marimaru
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I'm not familiar with all the settings on the machines, but if you are going to use something like nature sounds you might be able to just get a CD with those sounds on it instead and use a regular cd player with a repeat function?

Marimaru

Mommy of Isabelle Rose, born 10/11/2009

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)