Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extreme sleeping

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 3 month old has spent the better part of the day sleeping.  He normally takes 15-20 minute cat naps throughout the day but today he's been asleep more than he's been awake. 

Maybe he's hitting a growth spurt? 

I certainly hope that this sleeping doesn't affect his bedtime tonight!

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
robibuni
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:50 PM

It IS possible he's going on a growth spurt.

I read once that babies do most of their physical growing in their sleep so if he's hitting a big growth spurt, he could be sleeping a lot more (assuming it only lasts a day or two, if it lasts longer than a few days, it might be something different).

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

lizmarie1975
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Quoting robibuni:

It IS possible he's going on a growth spurt.

I read once that babies do most of their physical growing in their sleep so if he's hitting a big growth spurt, he could be sleeping a lot more (assuming it only lasts a day or two, if it lasts longer than a few days, it might be something different).

Well, it's just been today so far.  I just hope this doesn't interfere too much with his bedtime (usually around 9:00).  He's got his 3 month check up on Wednesday so if it that far I'll bring it up then.

CamilleMomma
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Both my son and daughter when they were 2 months old started sleeping 10 to 12 hours straight at night, and a nap in the day anywhere from 1 to 3 hours.

After dinner at 5 sometimes later they were still hungry, so they get another snack of oatmeal and milk.   And, amazingly, my son is 4 and daughter is 1 and 1/2 and both of them are very skinny.  They still sleep that much, except my 4 yr. old doesn't take the day time nap.

I feed them tons.  But, they were both very tall babies, in the 97% for height.

My baby girl gets formula when she first wakes up, then oatmeal and fruit for lunch, then meat, vegetable and rice cereal or mashed potatoes for dinner, then more formula and then bed.

Don't worry, I was worried my kids were sleeping too much too, but, when I looked it up, babies can sleep up to 16 hours per day when you add up nighttime sleep and naps.

Camille Momma

marywilliams
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Caroline has always slept a lot.  Even more when hitting a growth spurt.  She still takes 2 naps each day, sleeps all night and plays like crazy when awake.  She is just over one.

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

caitxrawks
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM

LMAO I bet you've spent half of the time staring at him, right? "Sleep when the baby sleeps!" Uh, no.

I remember those days. My daughter easily sleeps 16-18 hours a day. She's WILD though, going going going going all day long never stopping crawling jumping laughing crying eating pooping watching tv lalalalalalallaalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

That's my life and has been for the past year. WOW.

Babies do sleep more when they hit growth spurts. It's a blessing in disguise, I think lol. As long as he isn't lethargic, like tired when he's awake, or has a fever or any signs of sickness, he'll be fine. My daughter started sleeping more consistently and longer around three months. I was so happy when she got into a routine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)