Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

rash and fever?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:18 PM
  • 9 Replies

I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what this could be: Sat. afternoon my 16 month old son had little red bumps on his stomach. It wasn't eczema or hives; we've seen both & it wasn't that. They were still there at bedtime. This morning he had a 101 fever. We got the fever down some and he seems to feel okay most of the time, but is a little fussy. And the spots are still there! Any ideas?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SandraB383
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Maybe Roseola. 

kdglenn
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Okay, I'll look into that.

Now that he's had a bath, I see that the spots are all over his body. Hmmm...

MissDipper
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM

My 18 mo. old just got over fifth's disease. Check that out too. It usually starts on the face but then goes all over the torso, arms, and legs.

mommy1326
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM

It sounds like your little on could have roseola. My son got it at about the same age as yours is not. It's nothing to really worry about just keep an eye out . here is some info.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/roseola-topic-overview

What are the symptoms of roseola?

Roseola often starts with a sudden high fever [103 F to 105 F] that lasts 2 to 3 days, although it can last up to 8 days. The rapid increase in temperature may be the first sign of roseola and often occurs before you realize that your child has a fever. The fever ends suddenly.

After the fever ends, a rosy-pink rash may appear mostly on the trunk (torso), neck, and arms. The rash is not itchy and may last 1 to 2 days.

In rare cases, a sore throat, stomach ache, vomiting, and diarrhea occur.

A child with roseola may appear fussy or irritable and may have a decreased appetite, but most children behave almost normally.

Mother to Kurtis 3/13/07 & Katrena 3/04/09

kgaskill
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:03 PM

If the bumps are flat and do not turn white when you push on them it could be petechiae, which is a sign of a bacterial infection, especially when associated with a fever. Give your doc a call to be sure.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Sorry I don't know what it is but I hope your little one gets better soon. Good luck.

ttcbaby dust Wife to the best husband ever (9-23-03), Mother to a wonderful son (7-7-08), and TTC #2. mod

tangleballlover
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:07 AM

My kids always get some kind of red spotty rash when they are sick. I would still take your LO to the doc just to be safe :)

CelestialVal
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Sounds like it could possibly be chicken pox, even if your child was vaccinated for it they could still get a mild case. Fever and flu symptoms come with chicken pox.

Celestebaby in sling

Dolphins54559
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 9:10 AM

My 10 month old just came down with Roseola. She had a slight fever for like 2 days and then it shot up to 103.5, when we broke that she came down with a rash of little raised bumps all over her body. They have pictures of it and everything online if you google it, but her pediatrician diagnosed it.

pregnancy calendar

baby

baby growth

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)