Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

When is a baby considered a toddler?

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

So this may be a silly question but I was just wondering when a baby is really considered a toddler? On here it shows toddlers in the age group of 1-2. My son is going to be 14 months on Jan 7. Is that considered a toddler? I ask because I see things at the store, like food or toothbrushes for example, that is specifically for toddlers. Is he a toddler? Or is it more around age 2-3?

by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
meglennox
by Member on Dec. 29, 2009 at 2:40 PM

idk i always thought of my oldest as a toddler when he hit one year.  and i think i'll continue to consider him a toddler until he's three.  he's two right now.

gacgbaker
by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 2:47 PM

I always think of toddler as 1-3 years old.  But that doesn't mean you can't stay here in the babies group of course! 

1wildchild
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2009 at 8:26 PM

My daughter will be 1 day after tomorrow and I consider her a toddler. I think 1-3 are the toddler years.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
threeeunder3
by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 10:28 PM

"toddler" refers to a baby who is walking (think a 1 yr old toddles around) and at least one year old. At three they are considered a "preschooler" (even tho preschool doesn't start until 4, go figure). 

Lovin' on my babies

marywilliams
by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 10:30 PM

I heard (or read) somewhere that they are considered toddlers when they start to "toddle" around.  Once they are walking they are toddlers.  Not sure if that's true, but when I looked at the foods they are marked for "supported sitters", "crawlers", "toddlers" and "preschoolers".  I think some things go by age and others by milestones.

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

mlyn23
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 12:00 PM

In my child. psychology class a a Baby is 0-1 and a Toddler is 1yr (18months) to 4 yrs of age

The few month diff. of a year to 18 months is a transition stage between a Baby and a Toddler.

However, some also consider the Toddler years to end at the age of three. . also... which the 3 to 4 years of age is also a transition stage from Toddler to young child.... it tends to depend on the childs growth and developement at these transition stages (some transition faster than others)

hope this helps

jus1jess
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 11:12 PM

I guess it depends. 12 and under is considered an infant so after is a toddler. Or it's when your baby starts walking.

Jessica~ teen, unmarried, sexually active & in love w/ 1 man (baby's daddy, not bio-father), atheist, liberal, bisexual, gay marriage supporting, pro choice, environmentally friendly, omnivorous but vegan at heart, animal loving, drug free, natural feeding w/out a schedule, public blanketless nursing, child led weaning, delayed/slow solid intro, junk food banning, co sleeping, toddler carrying/wearing, used to cloth diaper, positive potty teaching, anti cry it out, non spanking, over 20lbs & still rear facing, non vaxing, natural birth advocating, attachment parenting, stay at home mom to a happy, healthy, smart, sweet, beautiful girl

Women should not feel guilty if they are UNABLE to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are UNWILLING to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference. - Elizabeth Gene 

Lcherniske
by Member on Dec. 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM

I think between the ages of 1-1 1/2 it really depends on the child.  As far as food goes I would observe the developmental eating stage and readiness of mine before I routinely offered toddler meals.  My son started walking at 14 months and had some eating delays and was not able to eat the toddler foods (mixed texture gerber graduate meals) until later.  He was about 16 months when he was more ready.  On the other hand I have seen babies of 9 months that handle this type of food well. 

Lcherniske
amy8434
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM

I just joined cafe mom yesterday and I was surprised to see that this group was suggested when my youngest is 21 months. I guess I consider 18 months to about 3 to be a toddler. I joined anyway, it seemed like a good group.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)