Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

switch to soy? need advice...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM
  • 6 Replies

My daughter has been having trouble with gas and discomfort. She cries for a couple hours each day so her pediatrician said to take her off the enfamil and put her on the goodstart. We've gone through almost a whole can of the goodstart and there hasn't been much change. Should I just switch her to soy formula on my own or wait until monday and call her dr? I have to buy her some formula today and I don't want to buy a whole can of something she won't use, and that is causing her trouble. ANy advice? She is almost 6 weeks old and is also breastfed. I cut out all my dairy and she does better on my milk, but I may soon be taking a perscription and I do not want to breastfeed while taking this. Thanks

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gacgbaker
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I never fomula fed my little ones when they were just 6 weeks old, so someone else might have more experience, but I have heard many doctors recommend soy formula when baby is fussy and has a lot of gas, I don't see that it would hurt to give it a try.

Hope little one is feeling better soon!

aidansmommy961
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:06 PM

When my son was 2 weeks old he was having serious tummy discomfort and was terribly constipated. We were having problems with our family doctor and were still searching for a new pediatrician. We made the decision to switch on our own to soy. He instantly starting having more bowel movements and more comfortable bowel movements. When we finally found a pediatrician we liked and trusted we told them about it and they were fine with it as most doctors try to avoid expensive prescription formulas and shift you to soy anyway. Good luck. 

amandawebb
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Thank you for the advice, I think I will switch her. She has a bowl movement once every 3 or so days, and the day she has one is a much better day. One more question. I've heard that liquid formulas are easier to digest than the powder. Is this true?

jus1jess
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Formulas in general cause these problems. It'd be best to just STOP bottlefeeding. There are very few medications that are incompatible with breastfeeding so you don't have to worry about that. I can't remember the name right now but there is a book on medication and nursing (I'm sure someone in the breastfeeding moms group can remember). Ask an expert (general doctors aren't reliable) before making a big decision like this. Formula just isn't good for baby bellies.

Jessica~ teen, unmarried, sexually active & in love w/ 1 man (baby's daddy, not bio-father), atheist, liberal, bisexual, gay marriage supporting, pro choice, environmentally friendly, omnivorous but vegan at heart, animal loving, drug free, natural feeding w/out a schedule, public blanketless nursing, child led weaning, delayed/slow solid intro, junk food banning, co sleeping, toddler carrying/wearing, used to cloth diaper, positive potty teaching, anti cry it out, non spanking, over 20lbs & still rear facing, non vaxing, natural birth advocating, attachment parenting, stay at home mom to a happy, healthy, smart, sweet, beautiful girl

Women should not feel guilty if they are UNABLE to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are UNWILLING to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference. - Elizabeth Gene 

amandawebb
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Quoting jus1jess:

Formulas in general cause these problems. It'd be best to just STOP bottlefeeding. There are very few medications that are incompatible with breastfeeding so you don't have to worry about that. I can't remember the name right now but there is a book on medication and nursing (I'm sure someone in the breastfeeding moms group can remember). Ask an expert (general doctors aren't reliable) before making a big decision like this. Formula just isn't good for baby bellies.

I agree, but I will be starting an antidepressant soon and don't want my baby to get the medication. I do have to give a few formula bottles every day because I am not producing enough milk for the whole day, and I just thought maybe soy would be easier for her to digest since milk allergies are common in my family. Thanks!

joyce6489
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 1:21 PM

i breastfeed my dd for a month  with some formula  cause i wasnt producing enough for the whole day. up until she was 6 weeks she was always uncomfortablewhile eating we tried 3 milk based formula and nothing changed so we out her on soy milk and she  was much happier. the only issue was her poop . it was difficult to go so we just added some prune juice to her bottles up until she was about 6 months or so.. basically until we added food into her diet. which helped her go more ..but even so sometimes she had bowel movements every two to three days then we would do prune juice again.. but it worked for her and she drank her bottles confortably and it was a blessing to watch her with the soy.. so i say go SOY

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)