Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How long does your baby take a nap

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:58 PM
  • 16 Replies

My 4 month old will only take 20-30 minute naps.  Usually 3 to 4 times a day.  That's only 2 hours a day!  I don't feel like she's getting enough sleep during the day.  And on top of it, it drives me nuts that I can't get anything done while she's napping cause as soon as I start doing laundry or something she's awake!  It's driving me insane.  So, how long does your baby sleep for and how many different naps does he/she take?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marywilliams
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Caroline has always been a good napper.  The only time she didn't nap very long was right before teeth came in or if her reflux meds needed increased.  We did have a swing that goes side to side that she loved... we'd let her nap in that if she fell asleep.  She slept better on an incline because of her reflux.  Now at a year, she still takes about 2 naps (sometimes only one) every day and it's usually a couple of hours.  She loves to sleep!

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

Mrs6six
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM

My baby boy is infamous for "power" naps. He can sleep for 15 minutes or for as long as I will let him or until he wakes up which ever comes first.

coffeegirl74
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Mine would sleep about 2-3 hours a day at that age. She is 1 now and sleeps about 2 hrs. Every baby is different though.  We also used a swing for her and her sisters. They slept more in them. Have you tried using a baby sling or pack? She may sleep more being next to you and you could still get some work done.  I know the feeling of a non sleeping baby. It is frustrating. Good luck.

Jin267
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM

My DD use to sleep really well, now she is doing the same as your DD. She is 9 months old now and I know what you mean by not being able to get anything done!!!! It has been going on for about a month now and I am hoping that it is just a phase??? lol 

jesmoore27028
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:37 AM

A nap are you kidding.....lol. My LO was only a good napper the first month of his life and then we found out he has reflux so instead of napping he started grazing all day and will "nap" while he eats with at least 2 of his feedings a day. With that being said when he does decide to "nap" while he's eating I let him stay latched on each side for as long as I can keep him on. This isn't very convinient since I have a 2 yr old as well but I have found that if I can do one of these "nap" feedings while the 2 yr old is supposed to be napping and the second one shortly after my husband gets home from work it usually works for us.

Optimistic101
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:46 AM

My dd will be 1 on the 22nd and she takes 2 naps. The 1st one in late morning is about 1.5-2 hrs. and the 2nd  is about 2-3hrs.

JoeyJrsMomma
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:05 AM

My son was like that too, but when we took him to his 6 month appointment, his pedi told us how important it is to establish a nap schedule now and that he is old enough to be learning how to self soothe. The schedule she suggested he goes on is eat, play nap for two 2 hour naps and one 1/2 hour nap. I would assume since your little one is only 4 months, that she should be getting at least that, if not a little more. His pedi said that any time we put him down for a nap, he must spend a minimum of 1 hour in his crib before we go get him during the week of adjustment. Once you get past that first week, we can put him down and if he isn't tired, he will play in his crib until he is then put himself to sleep and sleep for 2 hours. Here is his schedule:

7am wake

7-7:30 eat and get dressed for the day

7:30-9 quiet play, he likes to go in his jumper and then spend some quiet play with me, nothing too overstimulating as he's tired during this time.

9-11 nap

11 eat

play until 2

2 eat

we let him digest a little before his next nap so we put him down between 2:45 and 3

3-5 nap

5 eat

play until 6:15

6:15-6:45 nap

6:45-7:45 play

7:45 we start bath time and story time and feed him and put him down for the night.

lizmarie1975
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:42 AM

My 4 month old enjoys the catnaps too.  It gets annoying because it really doesn't give me any time to get stuff done.

ksol13
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM

My daughter is almost 3 months and I was having similar issues - she would sleep great at night but I didn't feel like she was getting adequate daytime naps - only sleeping 20-45 minutes and she would fuss so much as we tried to put her down in her crib...and as soon as we would pout her down she would wake back up - very frustrating process. One morning I put her in her swing and was doing some stuff around the house and next thing I know she was fast asleep  - no fussing or anything and she was out for 1 1/2 hours...so I now have been using this for her naps and then at night she sleeps in her crib. I'm not sure if I am setting up bad habits...but I feel like it is more important for her to have good sleep than for me to worry about where she is sleeping. Eventually she will outgrow the swing and I'm sure she'll be ready to sleep in her crib at that point. We also use the eat, play, sleep method  are you trying that?

parent2parent
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 11:20 AM

My DD is 17 months and has never been a good napper.  She usually takes one nap in the afternoon for about an hour.  I do not know where she gets the energy to keep going.  She will take about two "rests" ~ one in the morning and another in the evening.  She will just sit or lay, but will not fall asleep.

Jackie Logli
Work At Home with an Awesome Team and Company!
http://www.parents4wellness.com

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/WAHM_WAHD
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)