Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did YOU discover your child was watching too much TV? (If old enough of course)

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM
  • 7 Replies

Today I handed something to Katie and here was our conversation...

"Here you go Katie"

"Sheh sheh"

"Huh?" (smiling at her baby talk)

(husband) "Oh, that means thank you in Chinese"

(Katie) Kai Lan is Chinese!

Oh. Of course. What was I thinking? Of course my daughter knows Chinese.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Sarah5708Emma
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:16 PM

hahaha thats great :) my 20 month old says the name of the characters when she sees them ( wubbzy,olivia,manny,dora,etc.) not that that is the best thing, but she's so active that mostly the tv is more for background noise than her actually sitting down and watching it for hours on end. so she picks it up here and there

Married to Michael 08.08.08, Mommy to Emma 05.07.08!

and trying for baby number 2!!!

ttckissing

ErinHill226
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM

The funny thing is...we let you watch one MAYBE two shows in the morning...and then like one before bed sometimes. I caught her saying Gracias to her toy horse earlier too. Kids pick up on stuff I guess!

kmstockwell
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:28 PM

My 3 yr old likes the movie Toy Story...  today he says to Daddy "Did you take stupid pills this morning?"  to qoute Mr Potato Head...  hehe   had to explain that we don't say stupid :)

marywilliams
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Luckily, Caroline doesn't watch tv too much.  She's only a year old and likes the Music Choice channel for toddlers and babies.  She'll hear a good song and start dancing.  My stepdaughter watches tv all day at her mother's house and can repeat every episode of every show on the Disney Channel.  If the tv is on, SD will sit in front of it in a trance.  I try not to have it on much when she's here so she spends more time playing with her little sister.

Do you have 2 kids under 2 years old? Join my group to share, learn and vent. www.cafemom.com/group/2undertwo

joyce6489
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 1:13 PM

my daughter who is 30 months and she likes to watch t.v i dont complain much as she is learning things.. she pretty much watches shows that sing and dance. she enjoys Annie Chitty Chitty bang bang.. Marry poppins then of course cartoons. Dora, Doodle Bops, Caillou. because i see she learns things in them i dont mind as much .. i am watchin wat he is watchin to point out things that they do to remind her. like sharing being nice to friends and brushin teeth going to bed nice etc. (like they do). so i don think it is abused . she plays all day so at times she doesnt ask to watch tv..

Armywife6
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM

My 21 month old was never very interested in the TV so I'd leave it on as background noise. 1 day I didn't turn it on & he went over to it & turned it on himself (the TV & the box). He doesn't usually just sit & watch but it was funny to me that he thought it HAD to be on.

expecting baby toddler boy ~~~ The kind of woman who doesn't have to defend my views, & or parenting style~~

hgibsonorc
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM

My four year old used to watch TV in the mornings. I would only let her watch PBS kids and this was mainly because I had just had the baby and was exhuasted. And, then dad would come home in the evenings and turn on the TV. I decided that enough was enough. She was not sleeping well and I thought that the TV might have something to do with it. So, I took it away. I will let her watch a video every couple of days but that's about all she watches. My husband and I came to an agreement as well that the TV would come on at 8pm after the kids were in bed and not before. She sleeps better and we are doing more educational and fun activities like going on outings to the museum and libraries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)